Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
OK, I'm stuck on dial up at my house (my only high speed option would be satellite and it's just too expensive). I've got a new Mac Mini Core Duo and have been using Safari, but it just seems so slow. It is a lot slower even than my old Celeron 633 was running. I was wondering if Firefox, Camino, or Opera would be any faster. I have compared FF and Opera on windows and Opera wins hands down. If there is anyone out there still using dialup, what browser do you use?

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2005
London, UK
Hi, Bowens, welcome to MR. Have fun.

There is a number of threads (here for instance)on MR concerning various browsers and the general advice is to try each of them and see what you like best. Safari has often been quoted as being slow. FWIW, I use Shiira and find it clean, very fast and reliable.

Best of luck with your final choice and ---- enjoy MR! :)

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
I don't have personal experience with a lot of browsers, but from what I've heard Shiira and Camino are the fastest at rendering pages.
However, if you're on dial-up, I don't think the difference would be as noticeable as if you were on highspeed...

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
bowens said:
If there is anyone out there still using dialup, what browser do you use?

Same situation, and I use Safari.

Since it's dial-up, the slowness is mostly in the antiquated dial-up, I find any browser slowness is irrelevant.

So I use what I like the most (Safari).

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I'm on dial-up in my apartment and just swap back and forth between Camino and Safari as I feel. I found Camino to be a better browser (it continues to load pictures from sites like iLounge.com whereas Safari will stop loading them and the rest of the picture is grey) but I like the RSS of Safari. When Camino 1.1 comes out with RSS and a better ad blocker I will probably ditch Safari all together.

Neither of them are all that fast on dial-up though.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
Thanks for the advice. I think I will try Camino. From what I've found it seems to be pretty fast. I know it's not going to be very fast on dialup, but using Safari was almost unbearable.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
bowens said:
OK, I'm stuck on dial up at my house (my only high speed option would be satellite and it's just too expensive). I've got a new Mac Mini Core Duo and have been using Safari, but it just seems so slow.
Try using Firefox and turning off images. You might also install a .hosts file designed to stop spam/tracking/spyware sites from hooking into your browser and slowing you down.

There's a great hosts file here, but I'm not sure how to install it. /etc/hosts seems to go unused by OS X.

Play Ultimate

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Still dialing...

I am in the same situation as you. I still use Safari knowing that nothing will be very fast.

BTW, it's incredible that I can't get either cable or dsl when there's a Seagate factory less than a mile away!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.