Which browser overheats less your computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sickly Grin, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Sickly Grin macrumors member

Sickly Grin

I don't know if it's CPU or energy usage, but has there ever been determined which browser overheats less your computer? I think Safari does a nice job, whereas when I use Firefox I've noticed my fans start kicking a bit, even though Firefox is faster for me.

Any ideas?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Which content you're viewing on the browser can have a much greater impact on resources and temps than the browser app itself.

If you’re not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free widget) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with recent OS X versions. You can download it here.

Running Safari with the ClickToFlash extension installed has performed extremely well for me, in terms of minimal impact on resources.

3. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I think it also largely depends on what you're doing. I don't really notice much difference between Safari or Chrome. I'd prefer to use Safari since it's built-in, but I just prefer the features of Chrome.

But any of them might start the fan going if you're streaming videos, have a ton of tabs open, extensions running, etc.

4. Sickly Grin thread starter macrumors member

Sickly Grin

I guess it makes sense that it depends on what you're doing rather than the browser itself. Thanks for the tips.

5. appleminion macrumors member

i monitored the usage of safari and chrome and chrome definitely uses more energy for the same websites... heat is about the same but i'd go with safari as it's better optimized

6. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Safari pauses the tabs that you currently do not see and pauses the browser if you have a different window covering it up. Except for a video that is already playing but after it stops that tab is paused. So you get better battery life overall. Plus Safari doesn't have flash, so more savings there.

The rest don't have this feature. So they will always use a bit more power. Flash is very wasteful, so install click-to-flash to stop flash from running by default everywhere.

Chrome never goes into idle mode, so it prevents power saving mode from starting even if you are just looking at a webpage without clicking. Plus flash is built in so every flash-based ad will waste energy.