Which browser to choose? Safari vs chrome vs Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sup3r1or, Jul 3, 2010.

1. sup3r1or macrumors regular

Greetings to all members of our community,

Having recently switched to Mac I cannot seems to find a good browser, yes I know Safari 5 is decent but as my wife just noted me today.

It seems that it cannot "multi-task' with tabs, what I mean she opened 2 flash games from Facebook in two tabs, so while 1 tab is playing the game the second one stands still on loading screen. I have decided to test if that was the Facebook problem and loaded 2 games in separate tabs from other game website, to my surprise same result.

Im also experiencing some issues with youtube, while Im loading video sometimes it stops loading video half way through or may be 40%.

Chrome, well its ok but sometimes it slows on flash as well.

Now the real issue I'm having is from Firefox; I have the latest version installed I think 3.6. After a few minutes it starts to get slow, later on it stops responding to the point that my dock and apple bar just freezes. The only solution is to activate spaces, move to empty space and force quit it.

Is there any other options?

P.S No add-ons installed.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You'll find a number of threads around here about trouble with Flash on Macs (try out MRoogle to find them). It simply doesn't perform as well as it does on Windows. What browser you use is up to you. Everyone as their preference. Just try them all out and see what you like.

3. sup3r1or thread starter macrumors regular

I mean I only had mac for a few weeks now, but at some point I'am starting to wonder if I made the right choice that time in a shop, choosing mac vs Sony vaio that had hardware 3 times better than MacBook pro for cheaper.

I had system hang on my or applications crash, such as Safari, Firefox, iPhoto, uTorrent.

What happened to that poster promise you see in PC Shops where it says why should you choose mac: It doesnt crash, doesnt have viruses and so on.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Depending on what you're trying to do with any of these applications they can crash on any platform.

On the whole these are true.

5. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

IMO, I prefer Safari 5.

I used Chrome for a brief period. It was indeed fast, but was quite the CPU hog most of the time.

Firefox I found to be nice in terms of extensions, but it seemed quite slow. Especially now in comparison to Safari.

6. 3runjosh macrumors member

Chrome = for speed and nice gui but comes with the price of cpu hungry
    safari = speed nice gui less hungry on cpu
    firefox = hungry memory, slow, addons

for me i don't need anything more than adblock and all have that feature. Safari will always fit with osx more than any other but I really like chrome's gui and never get beachballs on it. I don't browse hardcore while working so the cpu hungry part doesn't affect me much at all. So in short it comes down to what you do and how much you do it. Firefox for web developers, safari and chrome for general use. If you just looking for general use then try both safari and chrome for a week each and see which you prefer. Really between those two it is a personal preference. Personally I love tabs on top and the looks of chrome more then safari. This argument will always be changing though as is the software. :) hope it helped

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, go with the one you like the most.

I tried using chrome but disliked the UI, I use Firefox on my work pc, so I have that installed on my hackintosh, but FWIW, I still like using safari on OSX, at least over firefox.

8. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I prefer Firefox. I like that by using the little "+" on the web page tab you get another tab. I use this frequently and can shift back and forth more easily on a particular web site I have to use often with several different web pages of info. I am sure you can do this on the others but Firefox works better for me.

9. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

To each their own.

I've always found Chrome to be really slow for me, and Firefox fast. I dunno. I guess my computer hates Chrome.

Plus the add-ons are rock solid and awesome.

You could also try Camino or Opera.

10. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Firefox and Chrome user on both macs and PC's. Chrome is definitely the faster of the two. Never was a fan of Safari...

11. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I like safari because it's easy to use and pretty quick, If I don't use Safari it's Opera... it's got some awesome features and is very very quick.

12. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

That's called marketing, it leads most people to expect Macs to be perfect. Unfortunately despite what most people seem to tell you, they're not perfect - they DO crash just as much as a Windows computer and have other flaws. Luckily there are not many viruses yet, so that's still a plus :D

I find Safari to be the best Web Browser for me, simply because java is horrible under Firefox and Chrome. If it weren't for Java I'd choose Chrome because, currently, it's faster than Firefox and I really like the default theme.

13. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Not in my experience. Not even close...

There are zero viruses as of this moment. Note that there are other types of threats out there, for more info google "pwn2own" or whatever it's called.

14. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Old thread but I would say if you're unsure about which browser to go for try each of them out with the sites you visit most often for a couple of weeks, and find out which one you like that way :)

15. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

16. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

There are a bunch of browsers you can try, when I'm having problems with Safari I tend to use Firefox or Chrome, and sometimes iCab.

Safari 5 can't handle flash very well, but is a nice & fast overall browser.