Which Browser ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Washac, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I read that the Java applet plugin no longer supports Snow Leopard 10.6.8, and apparently leaves your machine vulnerable and can cause problems, even though many many Mac users still prefer to use Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Which web browser do Mac users prefer to use these days ?

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

There's nothing wrong with Safari IMHO. I do have Java disabled (can't remember the last time I had a site that required Java).

3. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

408 views and only one person can say what browser they use.

Thanks everyone.

4. spykthomas macrumors member

I use Chrome. Never had any problems.

Starting using it because if 1 tab crashes, it doesn't take the others down with it.

There are updates for it every couple of weeks, or so it seems.

5. trustever macrumors 6502

For me firexfox all the way, I have been a long time user of mozilla's softwares and very pleased with it.
    It is fast, reliable and upgraded regularly, truly reccomended.

6. NHProductions, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

NHProductions macrumors newbie

It all comes down to personal preference to be honest. Download a bunch of browsers and test them e.g. Firefox, Chrome, Opera, ...

I prefer Firefox.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's a wheel that has been reinvented countless times before. If you want a list of what people use there are plenty of prior threads with responses in them.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=mac...me.0.57j60l2.10121j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

We don't all use the same browser. Instead of just randomly polling it would be more helpful to you if you stated your requirements and preferences.

Better yet, try out the options and select the one that suits you best.

8. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

OK, fair comments, think I will give Chrome a try :)

9. fluxforge macrumors member

I'm a hardcore Safari fan. Mostly because of the "Tap to Zoom" feature (and the nice animated back/forward gestures) and the Reader.

I tried Chrome and Firefox several times but the missing tap to zoom is a no go. (Yes, my eyes are not the best anymore.)

10. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

use Safari or you will get malware with others

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Do you actually believe this?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Rubbish. First, it's rare for a Mac user to ever encounter malware, unless they're regularly installing pirated software or other such risky activities. Second, whether you encounter malware has nothing to do with which browser you use. Third, you can successfully avoid all OS X malware in the wild by practicing safe computing, as described below.
    You can still safely use Snow Leopard. Just disable Java in your browser of choice until you visit a trusted site that requires it.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below).

3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

13. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

remember this post?

I only use Safari now, since I got this malware with Firefox:

B.C.Exploit.CVE_2013_0019[/QUOTE]

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You've posted this rubbish before. Why don't you take some time and read the responses to your posts? You might learn something.

15. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want to be nice, stop posting misinformation that could mislead others.

17. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

..I said I picked that malware using Firefox, so I deleted it, started using Safari and no more malware here

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It wasn't OS X malware, so it has no effect on Mac users.
    You could have encountered that file using any browser, including Safari.

19. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

I use google chrome but only because adblock for safari has a memory leak and going back a page in safari reloads the page (annoying). If those two issues get fixed I will go back to Safari for sure :p

----------

you forgot to post all the other thread links, we're counting on you because we are lazy!

20. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

For the most part, Safari. I didn't install flash so if needed I use Chome. If while in Safari I come across a page using flash, I have an app called Eject to a flash that automatically opens Chrome.