Which cable/adapter is needed to migrate a 2009 MBP to 2016 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Caribbean Mac, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Caribbean Mac macrumors member

Just checked Apple Migration page and the new 2016 Macbook Pro are not included in the suggested connection methods and cables.

Has anyone migrated a macbook pro 2009 with thunderbolt 2 or firewire 800 ports to the new 2016 15" macbook pro? Which cable and adapter you used?

2. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Since I'll have this issue shortly, I'm going to suggest using a local network for this rather than a cable. Or use migration assistant from a backup. Otherwise, I'm curious about other solutions, too.

3. Bo15 macrumors 6502

Bo15

I just migrated from my 2009 15" to my new 2016. I started looking at cables but looked at the migration support doc and it suggested using migration assistant via wifi between the 2 MBPs on the same network. The connection kept failing (had latest s/w, etc.) for some reason (maybe El Capitan to Sierra). Then I decided to migrate from my latest time capsule backup via wifi. It took about 3 hrs for 240gb (I have decent wifi speeds). Went pretty well with no big issues and took a lot less time than I thought.

4. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Yeah that was my thought. It might be faster if you get a USB c to Ethernet adapter and plug into your router that way, but a LAN transfer seems like the best route.

5. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502