Which cable do I need for my car?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by princesultan, Sep 15, 2010.

1. princesultan macrumors regular

2. nivekr11 macrumors regular

I use the 3.5mm male to male connector in my truck. It's the one from Apple on your links.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. princesultan thread starter macrumors regular

3.5mm eh?

Yah, I'm not sure which one I need actually.... 2.5mm or 3.5mm. Is there a standard one that comes in a car? I have a 2009 Impreza....

5. OC513 macrumors 6502

most are 3.5mm......its pretty standard.
    Directly from the website......
    "A 3.5mm (AUX) auxilary input cable is a must have for anyone with a MP3 player (such as Sandisk Sansa, Apple iPod, Microsoft Zune, Creative Zen and any other 3.5mm jack MP3 player). The AUX cable allows you to plug your Mp3 player directly into your AUX input car stereo and play the music right from the player. Most newer model vehicles are equipped with a direct AUX input for this purpose."

6. princesultan thread starter macrumors regular

7. Knightshade macrumors member

Sorry, but everyone in the thread has been wrong so far.

You want one like the FIRST cable.

The second cable will work to move sound from the phone to the car, but the first one will sound a lot better.

Output from the dock connector will sound significantly better than output from the headphone jack, since the dock connector provides a line-level output.

So you can buy one of the many dock-to-aux plugs out there, or if you want to spend a little more you can buy one of the several car kits that plugs into the dock and provides both an AUX out and charges the phone (by plugging into a cig. lighter type plug)

You can check your cars owners manual to determine if your AUX input is 2.5 or 3.5 mm then get the appropriate dock-to-aux cable for it.

8. joudbren macrumors regular

Personally I would be checking this one out instead as it gives you your 2.5mm audio and a usb charge plug in a single cable that can plug into any usb lighter socket adaptor. My audio sounds perfect and incoming calls are automatically transferred to my visor mounted bluetooth and the phone temporarily shuts the music off while that happens. You can find similar cables on ebay as well in both black or white colors. The link below says for 3GS so you may need to check with them to see if it will work with your iPhone 4 but you get the idea from the pictures.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36231

P.S. On a second note, ProClip (www.proclipusa.com) makes an awesome iPhone 4 car cradle that has a passthrough connector and is adjustable to accommodate your phone if it's in a case. I bought one and you can leave your cable attached permanently to the bottom of this cradle and just snap your phone in and out in a second. It's pretty pricey at $80 bucks but really well made and works a treat. They offer various custom mounts for it for just about any car or you can get a windshield mount as well.

Cheers!

James