which camcorder (~$500) for mac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gangmenes, Sep 17, 2007.

1. gangmenes macrumors newbie

What is a good DVD camcorder for personal use that I could use on my MacBook Pro in iMovie?

I bought a sony (DCR-DVD308) that doesn't seem to work with it, even though it was on a list of ones that did. It is not recognized in iMovie and does not have firewire connectivity either. I want something in the same price range ~$500.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!!!

2. mac daddy macrumors newbie

mac daddy

I've had a Canon ZR for four years, and it plays well with the Mac. You should be able to find something in that series in your price range.

3. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Canon Elura 100 (camcorder of the year for 2006) check it out at camcorderinfo.com

I highly doubt that was on the compatibility list. AFAIK no DVD or Harddisk cam will work seamlessly with mac.

4. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I have the Panasonic PV-GS300. It's got 3CCD and the LEICA lens. Excellent quality and zoom. I paid 4 something for it.100% happy with it.

5. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Actually, the Sony 308 is on the LIST, provided the OP is using iMovie'08. '08 includes support for many DVD, HDD, and Flash camcorders.

As for the Elura 100, I will agree that it's a great camcorder. The only problem is finding it. You can get it online, but most stores don't have it, so you won't be able to hold it to get a feel. It does have a somewhat awkward feel when holding it, so it's not quite as comfy as it can be. But I've gotten used to it and it's fine (I kinda position my thumb against the battery).

If you don't have iMovie'08, then the Sony won't work. You'll need to take the DVD and rip and convert it to use with iMovieHD'06. Just don't use the MBP's DVD drive (you'll jam it).

ft

6. gangmenes thread starter macrumors newbie

iMovie '08 free download?

Ahh, I would love it if I could get the camcorder that I bought to work! I am having trouble finding a free download for iMovie '08. I bought my macbook pro this year and it is on iMovie 3.03. Wouldn't you think that the update should be free? Let me know if you have any insight.

--a thousand THANK YOU's!

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

iMovie '08 is part of iLife. It isn't free, you have to buy it. You'd only get it free or cheaper if you bought your Mac since it was released (and I think within only a few days or weeks before).

8. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

9. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Are you sure that it's iMovie3? I ask because I don't think iMovie3 would work on a MBP, since when iMovie3 came out, there were no Intel Macs.

If you bought the MBP this year, then it probably should have come with iMovie6, which is actually one version earlier than iMovie'08.