Which camcorder is the right camcorder?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macguy14, Feb 3, 2008.

1. macguy14 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new to the mac forums and this is my first post. I know there have been some already on this but I would like to know a bit more. I'm wondering which camcorder to get. It WILL be mini dv and probably not sony, but I'm still not sure which to get. Looking at camcorders on the apple website it came up with the canon md101 so I thought apple wouldn't put a camcorder up if it wasn't compatible with mac right? Then I hear that it doesn't hook up to any computers!!!!! I'm on a budget here so I'm not looking for anything fancy, but under 250 would be good. If anyone is using a camcorder with mac please tell me which too. Thanks guys!

2. miked37945 macrumors newbie

The right camcorder

This is a common question. The "right" camcorder for someone else may not be right for you. You have to figure out the right one for you. Go to the forum search and type in "camcorder" and you'll get some idea on where to start looking. Remember, use the search first and then ask questions to clarify your findings if necessary.

3. cowpaintings macrumors member

miked is correct. There are so many hardware, software, and storage differences; the only way you will know is if you go to a place and try them out for yourself.

I initially bought one on looks and specs alone, only to find out that the camera's menu system was not as simple as I would of liked. After much studying I chose one that was a bit "ugly" but had a better menu systems and storage.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you want to edit your video on your Mac, then your camcorder should be tape-based--either miniDV (which you are leaning toward) or HDV (which records hi-def video on miniDV tapes)--and feature a FireWire port. Apple now supports some non-tape formats, but tape is the way to go for the serious amateur videographer.

5. macguy14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys

Thanks everyone for contributing to my problem. After reading everyones comments I've decided to do a bit more research on mini dv and looking at ones with firewire. Do you think USB would also be OK if I come across one?
    Know I know what to look for, and thanks again, this was a great help!

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

No, you can't transfer DV footage off of the tape with USB.

7. ewxlt macrumors regular

Thanks for the input. I've been researching and had leaned towards no tape. I'm reconsidering.

8. iJordo macrumors member

look for

the Panasonic PVGS models! They are wonderful quality being 3CCD and all...
    They have a low price range, and you can probably find one for around 250-300 easily... They are DV but, in there defense, most Harddrive camcorders are not supported by OS X, and also DVD camcorders only give you 30 min recordings... 90 min standard for DV... and most macs have firewire...so that problem should not be an issue...
    ALright?

9. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

10. nutmac macrumors 68040

I think tapeless is fine, although I would avoid camcorders that use memory card or DVD as primary storage. Most HDD camcorders have more than enough space for folks on vacation and MPEG-2 and AVCHD codecs are high enough quality.

Apple has iMovie '08 Camcorder Support page that lists camcorders that works with iMovie '08 (in most cases, unlisted but similar newer models work as well).

If you can afford it, look for camcorders with 3 CCDs.

11. ewxlt macrumors regular

These were a top pick for CNET folks at CES.

12. barijazz macrumors 6502

I've heard some problems with no tape camcorders. They use video formats not know to most video editing programs except the software that comes with them. You probably could convert them to a useable file type but its just best to avoid that hassle.

13. nutmac macrumors 68040

Tapeless camcorders, such as those mentioned on my previous post (basically Canon, JVC, Panasonic, and Sony), typically use MPEG-2 for SD and AVCHD for HD. iMovie '08 supports both. Heck, iMovie '08 even imports them over USB. These formats are not quite as linear editing friendly as DV and higher compression rate than DV or HDV, but they are more than adequate for general use (particularly at highest quality mode).