Which camcorder should I buy for live streaming?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mcmullen413, Feb 7, 2008.

1. mcmullen413 macrumors newbie

I've been shopping around and I'm more confused than ever! I need two camcorders for live video streaming. I'm using Adobe Connect Professional (web conferencing) and my Mac Pro to conduct online classes. I would like to have two camcorders that I can switch between (camera 1, camera 2) for different angles. I have bought two camcorders in the past and both would not work with my mac. I've been looking at Canon camcorders but I want to make sure I buy something that is good for what I want to do. My price range is up to $3000 per camera. Can someone help me?:confused:
    Looking for:
    1. Quality video for live web conferencing
    2. Ability to switch between the two cameras
    3. Remote zoom
    Also, does it matter if they are the same model? I was thinking of getting a Canon XL2 as the primary camcorder and a smaller (cheaper) camcorder for the other angle. Please help. Thank you so much.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

I think for this application the most important thing you need to get right is lighting. Well, OK the camera does need to communicate with the computer but after that lighting is what will count the most. What you want is first off quite a bit of it. With enough light even the lower end camera make good images. Next you need to light the subject so that the range between shadow and highlight is within the camera's range then you need to control the hashness of the shadows, although this is an artistic decision. See if others agree with me -- that a $500 camcorder under $500 of controlled lighting will out perform a $2,000 camera under office fluorescent lights.

Next remove as much from the image as you can. Apple videos are good at this. They use solid backgrounds simple designs and nothing really moves much The compression software that puts the images on the 'net really "like" this kind of input, so you look good at the other end.

3. Spizzo macrumors 6502

You might be able to get away with some GL2's or the DVX100. Both are great cameras, but have different advantages. Save a little cash, put it towards some lighting. That will make a bigger difference than the camera, as said above. And lighting can be expensive.

This guy has some good soft lights that don't consume a ton of energy. He is helpful and can answer any lighting questions you may have.