Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeeramones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2008
okay so im looking into buy a new slr camera for myself
now i heard people saying that they love their nikon d40, so i thought i'd give that a shot. but even though D40 has only 6.1 megapixel lens, does it still take really good pictures?

and now i discovered olympus evolt 420, which has 10megapixel, takes good quality pictures, and somewhat inexpensive compare to nikon..

seriously which camera should i get?

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I was able to borrow a D40 from one of my teachers to give it a try over the weekend, and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It produced good quality pictures and had very nice controls (although it felt a bit 'small')..

Even though 6.1 megapixels is now considered a 'small' amount, I really didn't find that limiting in my photos. After all, what really matters is having a good sensor and a good lens - more megapixels are pretty useless unless you plan on making big prints..

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
The D40 is excellent, next best Nikon choice is the D300 for $1500.

Put your money in lenses -- the 18-200/F3.5-5.6 VR is an excellent first and only lens.

Recommend you read here: Ken Rockwell

have fun, and beware, it can be an expensive hobby ;)

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
It's not about the pixels, it's about the sensor. People make such a huge deal over pixels when they really should be concentrating on the sensor itself.

Ask yourself this question: Are you planning on enlarging your photo's bigger than 16x20? Or even 20x30? If not, then 6.1mp is plenty for you.

My girlfriend (who just started out in photography), has gotten very good results from her Nikon D40. It's a simple camera to just pick up and use.

Personally, I'm not a big Olympus fan. I like their p&s lineup, but their DSLR line and their "four-thirds" system just don't do it for me personally. But it's entirely up to you.

Jan 30, 2006
Recommend you read here: Ken Rockwell

Just take everything KR says with a grain of salt.:) I personally prefer Tom Hogan.

To the OP. The Nikon D40 is an excellent camera. It is much more than what a new photographer needs and would last you for a long time. It being light-weight makes it wonderful for taking it with you wherever you go without thinking twice. And the results you get from it are on par with the more expensive D80 and even the old D200.

As for the megapixels, don't worry about it. I have the Nikon D40x, which has 10 MP, but truth be said, 6MP is enough for most situations.

Have I found any inconveniences so far with the D40? Well, it lacking a focus motor has become a limitant when choosing new lenses (I would love to have the 50 f/1.8), and sometimes you which you could have direct acces to commands such as ISO, WB, etc. I for one think the dial at the top where you choose Manual Mode, Shutter or Aperture Mode, or the other Auto Modes is a complete waste of space in a dSLR.

But do notice that the advantages are much greater than its disadvantages. All in all the D40 is a great piece of equipment.

As for the Olympus, I don't know, have never used it nor read much about it, but I do consider that Nikon is a better choice. And it is almost the same price, if not more expensive, than the D40.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
The only thing that could persuade me to buy the oly over the D40 is the little pancake lens. Together they're a tiny combination. I'm sure I'd carry my SLR more if it was smaller. More carrying -> more photos. Then again, I know someone who takes his D200 everywhere with him, and the D40 is a LOT lighter than that.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
I don't understand the hype over the D40, really. I can't deal with the size, or the lack of an on-board AF motor.

A friend of mine has the Olympus E-510, and It's a great camera if you don't mind spending the extra. It's rugged body is way better for carrying everwhere, and it's still small.

As for the four-thirds system, the 2x conversion can sometimes be a pain, but it pays off when you can get a good deal on a Leica lens.

Jan 30, 2006
I don't understand the hype over the D40, really. I can't deal with the size, or the lack of an on-board AF motor.

A friend of mine has the Olympus E-510, and It's a great camera if you don't mind spending the extra. It's rugged body is way better for carrying everwhere, and it's still small.

As for the four-thirds system, the 2x conversion can sometimes be a pain, but it pays off when you can get a good deal on a Leica lens.

The D40 is an excellent beginners camera. The light weight is a big plus for me, this way I never doubt taking it with me. And the lack of AF motor won't be a real problem for most beginners, seeing that most lenses are getting AF-S now. And aside from that, it is not missing any other important feature.

Like many in this forum say, buy a system, not the camera. Most probable senario is that when you buy a Nikon you'll be with Nikon for the rest of your life. The D40 would last you only some years, what you really need to see is what lenses you want.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
The only thing that could persuade me to buy the oly over the D40 is the little pancake lens. Together they're a tiny combination. I'm sure I'd carry my SLR more if it was smaller. More carrying -> more photos. Then again, I know someone who takes his D200 everywhere with him, and the D40 is a LOT lighter than that.

P&S cameras are tiny combinations if you're really looking for portability there are lots of small P&S cameras out there. The disadvantages of high-ISO noise and lack of DoF isolation makes 4/3rds a no go for me, but might be a good compromise for some people as it's better than the smaller-yet P&S sensors.

The D40 is smaller than anything I carry around though. I suppose it depends on how small the photographer is as to what's convenient.

Zer0

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
for the zillonth time (and I will say as many times as it is required) dont go by MP count :)

6MP is plenty unless you plan to make "regular" massive prints. In which case you should get it done in a lab anyway and they can stretch 6MP a long way! In fact 6MP is great for an average user because the file sizes will be smaller and the camera will be snappier :)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
okay so im looking into buy a new slr camera for myself
now i heard people saying that they love their nikon d40, so i thought i'd give that a shot. but even though D40 has only 6.1 megapixel lens, does it still take really good pictures?

and now i discovered olympus evolt 420, which has 10megapixel, takes good quality pictures, and somewhat inexpensive compare to nikon..

seriously which camera should i get?

You need to understand what a "megapixel" is before you decide how many of then you want. More is NOT anyways better. Pick the camera based on the selection of lenses that you can get for it. Pick out what you might want to buy over the next couple years. For example if you think you might like a fast wide angle prime lens some day make sure one is available for the camera body you choose. Look at price too maybe you get into sports. What does a suitable lens cost are their used lenses available for your camera? Can you reant lenses for your camera? In short look at the "eco system" that surounds the camera

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.