Which Camera to buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by adamvk, May 27, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I cannot decide which camera to purchase.

Should I get the Canon Powershot SD 780 is, or the Samsung SL820?

They both do HD 780, both are 12MP, both are apprx $250, both are ISO 3200. The Samsung does have a slightly better zoom, at 5X, and the Canon has a 3X. However in the past I've always loved Canon cameras and I've owned a few. I've never owned a Samsung Camera so I don't really know how good they are. What do you guys think is the better camera, and why?

Canon Link:http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=18183

Samsung Link: http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...eras&subtype=slseries&model_cd=EC-SL820SBP/US

2. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I've long been a fan of the Canon cameras. We've owned quite a few and never had a problem with any of them. Don't know much about Samsung.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I cannot say this enough, Canon's P&Ss are by far the leaders in my opinion. I had a Nikon and it was bad. I'll stick to Nikon SLRs and DSLRs thank you. I owned a Samsung and after exactly 350 photos it suddenly would not AF (crucial in a P&S that has no manual focus). Samsung would not replace or repair.

4. pesc macrumors regular

For more opinions and reviews go to dpreview.com.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I just got the Canon PowerShot SD1200 IS (one model down from the SD780 IS) and I really like it. Definitely go with Canon... they are the best.

6. cube macrumors G5

7. toxic macrumors 68000

megapixels and high-ISOs on point-&-shoots are marketing gimmicks, nothing more. image stabilization (IS) is actually useful.

8. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Yes, this is very true. More megapixels can even mean worse pictures.

9. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well I want a P & S thats at least 10MP that shoots HD Video. If anyone has recommendations, let me know. :)

10. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

11. RoninXI macrumors regular

Samsung

CHoosing between the 2 i choose the Samsung. Looking at both sites I found...

1) Samsung 1/2000 vs Canon 1/1500. Because my hands do and always will shake I need it to take the shot faster and still has a stabilizer (actually both do) which helps but is not a guarantee.

2) Samsung has a larger screen, I like using the screen personally. Again, I do not have steady hands and never will so holding it out is easier for me. If you prefer the view finder this won't matter much since the preview won't really show any small artifacts any way.

3) 5x zoom on the Samsung vs. 4x on the Canon.

I have never had any issues with other products from either company so saying 1 will have issues first is too hard for me to comment on. That said that Lumix looks really nice too.

12. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Thanks for your input.

Also I don't really like that Lumix. It just looks cheap to me, and I'm not a fan of Panasonic Cameras.

13. cube macrumors G5

14. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I hate touch screen Cameras, and its still Panasonic. Thanks anyways. :)