Which Canon lens to buy

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nazmi Gabriel, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Nazmi Gabriel macrumors newbie

I have Canon lens EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, need to buy 2 lenses more. :confused:, which 2 lenses of the following 3 to carry on with the 24-105 range:
    The EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
    or EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
    or EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
    can I use Extender EF 1.4X III with EF 16-35 and 24-70mm ?? I know I can use it with 70-200mm lens, but not sure about the others.
    Is the 24-70mm lens range within the 24-105mm, or is it totally a different entity lens.:confused:
    Thanks for your help

2. cube macrumors G5

You can find used copies of the original Sigma 12-24 HSM for cheap now, as there is a new "II" version.

3. dani0100 macrumors newbie

That 24-70 is going to cover the same range as your 24-105. You want to get the other two lenses, as they cover very different focal ranges. If I were you, I'd see if I could ditch the 24-105 and get all three of the lenses you mention, since that's a near perfect coverage of the relevant focal lengths.

The 1.4x will not work on any zoom lens with a focal range that's smaller than the 70-200. It will also not work on any fixed focal length lens smaller than 135mm.

I'd also invest in some books and classes on photography if you haven't already. Having that kind of glass around and not knowing how to use it would be unfortunate.

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

The largest difference between them is the aperture, 24-70 is one stop brighter and can freeze action better. 24-105 however has IS which helps with non-moving subjects in low light.

If the question was really about if the 24-70 focal length falls within 24-105 then I suggest you read up more about the technicalities about lenses. A lot more.

5. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

My vote goes to the EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Only $12,999.00 (USD) ;)

But seriously, you haven't said what you will use these lenses for. Why do you need 2 new lenses? You run the entire gamut from (ultra)wide to telephoto. The only reason I see that these are all that much different than your current lens is an extra stop. Do you need that extra light? If you do, you do. What do you shoot? Portraits? Landscapes? Fast moving sports? Bright sunlight? Dimly lit gyms? What body do you have? Full-frame or crop?

Until you let us know these, we can't really help. Until then, my vote stays with the 800mm. :D

(I'll apologize ahead of time. I was being sarcastic to make a point, not to be mean. I don't mean any ill will towards the OP. I'm just trying to get the best help available.)

6. cube macrumors G5

7. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

While most everyone would giggle in delight with a 70-200 2.8, you should describe what you like to shoot. Are you ok with heavy lenses? And perhaps what camera you use.

8. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

As you can see by my sig I have the 24-105 and use that as my walk-around lens. Trying to keep cost down I got a refurbished 17-40L f/4 as a wide angle lens and went with the 70-300L f/4-5.6 IS USM. I did this because of it's compact size for travel. None of these are fast lenses, but this was a personal choice of mine based on the budget I set for myself and what I generally shoot when photographing. Maybe I could have juggled other lenses w/i my budget but this is what I chose and am living with for now. Without knowing what you specific needs are you obviously have picked some higher prices lenses. Of the choices you gave, IMO, I'd go with the
    EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM and the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM with the 1.4 extender and keep the 24-105. But that's my 2c.

9. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

The 24-70 is better than the 24-105... the IS you loose is gained by the stop in aperture. Of course it's my own opinion as a full time commercial photographer.

The 70-200 II is rivaled by no other lens imo. It's amazingly sharp. It's the lens that get's used the most amongst my three lenses at the moment.

I was actually looking to expand my kit myself, and was looking at the 16-35. However the only reason I would ever buy this is if I had to do interiors... and even then I would probably rent it.
    If I wanted to own a wide lens I would probably go for the Carl Zeiss 21mm 2.8 (scenery and people) or the Canon 24 T-Se lens (architecture and interior), which should be amazing in sharpness and lack of distortion.
    An alternative if I was shooting nature would be the 17-40mm which is far cheaper than the 16-35 and delivers a more than decent result for scenery shots. Also the 17-40 has less flare than the 16-35 and less fall off in the corners.

So imo I would trade in the 24-105... and use this:
    17-40
    24-70
    70-200

and maybe buy the extender to boost your 70-200. Supposedly even with the extender it's pretty sharp.
    There would be no point in extending the shorter lenses...

10. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

the same set I have in my collection ... in case of 70-200 the previous version; but still very good lens. Most of the time attached on the body.

I kind of set a rule for myself not going slower then f2.8 which helps in low-light focusing and also gives me better blurred background. The 17-40 violates this rule but came before and I don't use it so often to replace it. My other lens violating the rule is 500/f4. The Sigma-Bazooka mentioned before is out of reach.

11. Nazmi Gabriel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Rusty and all respected members for your reply,
    I have Canon 5d Mark II full frame, I use it a lot in Weddings, sports for my 2 sons( Rugby & gymnastics) family gathering indoors and outdoors, restaurants
    venues, travel and all day round plus landscape.
    It's hard to achieve most of my personal activities with one lens, and I hate changing lenses, but beggars can't be choosers, what do you suggest!

12. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Don't forget the 70-200/f4 with stabilization. Top quality lens, and probably the best bargain in the whole Canon lens line-up.