Which Canon p&s

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mr.Noisy, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

I apologise if this has been asked before, I'm looking at getting the wife a Canon p&s, she's got an old Nikon one but the quality has degraded with the age of the camera now, it's poor, just wondered if any of you here have recently bought maybe a Canon p&s for yourselves or your partners and can offer a bit of insight into what i'm looking for, She shoots our kids, at parties, in the park or just brings her camera to english heritage sites, her shots are more snap shots, but she wants something fairly simple to use, good battery life but most of all, this is just a compact camera that gets chucked in a rucksack and dragged everywhere,
    I use a 5D2 and know nothing about p&s compacts hence asking for advice,
    i'm looking at around £80 give or take £20, thanks ;)

2. scott911 macrumors 6502a

I think you're on the right track going with canon. I think you budget and wife's size preference will drive you to just a model or two. Within the canon P&S range, you're going to find similar picture quality until you jump to the top of the P&S line with the G12 and the smaller expensive unit that uses the same sensor.

3. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

The G12 is essentially the same camera as the S95 but with more controls. Its bulkier so perhaps if your wife just wants a camera with excellent quality that fits in her pocket/purse, the S95 or S100 would be the ones to look at.

You could buy a cheaper one.

4. Hipnomac macrumors regular

Hipnomac

Agreed, S95 or s100, you could probably get a really good deal on a S95 coming up, because the S100 was just released, best pictures i've seen from a P&S hands down, and compact.

5. Mr.Noisy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Thanks, I'm going to have to go to the local store and have a look, I feel happy looking for a Canon for Her, should be in time for the big fella in the red coat if i get my skates on, thanks again ;)