Which Canon Ultra-portable digital camera?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Adokimus, May 22, 2008.

?

Which do you recommend?

1. SD1100 IS

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. SD790 IS

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. SD750

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Quick... which Ultra-portable Canon digital camera should I buy?

Right now I'm between three:

SD1100 IS

and

SD790 IS

and

SD750

I'm open to other suggestions, but I have had good experiences with Canon, and I want something that is less than 1.0" thick so that I can pocket it (which is why I ruled out the SD850 IS, which has very good reviews). I like that the 750 and 790 have large screens, but the 750 doesn't have image stabilization. As a snapshot (completely non-pro) kind of guy, I've lost a few photos to blur in my day. But, the 790 is kind of pricey, and I haven't seen many reviews online. So, experts, current owners, and friends...

Which should I buy? I need to decide pretty soon.

Thanks!!

Ado

EDIT: they are all over 7 MP, which is more than I would ever need, so that is not a deciding factor.

2. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I have the Canon SD630, it doesn't have image stabilization but if the flash is on, you get a really nice clear picture. Plus when your viewing pics with the large screen (its really nice!) you can zoom in on your pics and they are really clear.

Heres my bee pic

Attached Files:

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I'd go with the 850, its barely bigger and has far better reviews that the others.

4. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

IS is Great!

I got a sd700 IS about 2 years ago and it is just awesome having IS. Especially for how smooth it makes videos (I don't take videos often, but it's nice to have). Plus I can take macro shots (Which are harder to do with a flash) from 2 inches away at 1/10 of a second shutter and they come out clear. So I'd go with the 790 IS for sure.

5. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

i'm having this debate myself, so i thank you for making this thread.

i myself have been leaning towards the 790 because of its screen. the 1100 is very affordable so it's a hard decision.

6. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

None of the above.

Get a Nikon. You will be much happier.

7. operator207 macrumors 6502

Remember IS is NOT stabilizing whatever your taking a picture of, its stabilizing YOU.

I would personally go with the sd1100, it has a view finder. What do you think is going to be more stable? A camera at arms reach, or one touching your face? Also, megapixel is not the end all of camera quality. Some very high end cameras are only 8 megapixel, and can take much better pictures than that sd790 10 megapixel camera does.

As for the "get a Nikon" post, why will he be happier? Does it have a "happy" button? Please explain.

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I say SD 1100 IS, higher specs never really hurts, especially if you're like me and want the best for your money. BTW, Canon has great cameras, you will be very happy with the performance.

9. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

In compact cameras, Canon is far superior. (just look at amazon best sellers and reviews. The 10 firsts are canon)

10. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Canon Sd 870 IS

Congrats on going with Canon. Whatever you wind up with won't be wrong! I chose the 870 IS as it's certainly small enough to qualify as a Point and Shoot, plus it has the 3" screen (I do not miss the optical VF at all) and it has the 28mm wide angle lens which makes a VERY big difference as a lot of my pictures are taken at family get-togethers.
    The battery life is very good, the picture quality is excellent at under 400 ISO, and it looks very nice!
    You can also try posting this question in the Digital Photography forum.
    Good luck in whatever you choose, but my Canon SD 870 IS is perfect for me!
    Morod