Which car adapter do I need to buy?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by klb028, Jul 24, 2007.

1. klb028 macrumors 6502

I'm about to buy a 30GB iPod, and my car ('07 Jetta) has a built in iPod adapter. What do I need in order to play music in my car from my iPod? I've tried searching and looking through everything on Apple.com but I can't figure it out. Thanks! :)

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

by adapter do u mean an auxiliary or a 30 pin connector? I think it would be best to contact your dealer

3. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have no idea... I just know I need something to plug into my iPod and connect to the built-in iPod adapter that's in my car. :\

4. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

puckhead193 asked the right question. What's the iPod adapter in the Jetta look like? Is it just a headphone jack (aux input, etc...) or is it a (30 pin) dock connector cable.

If the latter you shouldn't need anything.

If it's a headphone jack, I use a Belkin Auto Kit and a retractable 3.5 mm cable (also from Belkin) in my Honda.

B

6. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

an auxilary hook-up is just a headphone jack sized hole...usually found under a little flap of rubber or plastic to keep dirt and stuff out. it would probably say "aux" on it. if this is the case, you can purchase a short cable with headphone hook-ups on either end...one end goes in the aux and one end goes in the headphone jack of the iPod.

a true adapter would probably be more than one little hole. if this is the case, you'd want to do as puckhead said and contact your dealer to be sure you're getting the proper cable.

EDIT: beaten! but yeah, like balamw said. :)

7. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I'm going out on a limb by saying this, but if it has an iPod adapter, I'm assuming it's a 30 pin dock connector. Otherwise, it would just come with an aux input.

I don't really have any experience with this, but I'm assuming you wouldn't need anything. Where is this connector located? In the glove box? Hidden away somewhere?

8. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, I don't know if this is much help... but my iPod adapter is in my glove compartment/box (so, yes, it is hidden away) and it's a little white circle you just plug something into.

9. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Is it a headphone jack circle thing, or a circle thing with a lot of little pins or something?

I wouldn't think they would put a headphone jack (aux in) in the glove box, since you wouldn't be able to charge or control the iPod.

I would stop by a VW dealership andask them what it is. More than likely, if it's a VW interface to control the iPod with the head unit, you'll need a VW supplied cable.

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss