Which car charger do I need?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jstar002, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jstar002, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

jstar002 macrumors regular

I have an iphone 5. I want to spend as little money as possible. I have an older 2003 Mercedes so I have a cigarette lighter socket thing... I'm thinking this would work

http://www.wirelessemporium.com/p-1...source=gbase&gclid=CPXbmsjoy7UCFSSCQgodgE8AIA

Whats the diff between that one and this http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...htning-connector-for-iphone-5-21-amp?fnode=48

I know its different level of amps, but does the second Belkin one fit into a cigarette lighter socket? The plug looks different?

Whats a good charger i can buy that will fit my car for cheap?

2. jstar002 thread starter macrumors regular

3. DennisN macrumors newbie

DennisN

4. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

That adapter plugs into the cigarette lighter and you get an OEM cable from the Apple Store.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Monoprice also has inexpensive chargers.

From the very link you posted:
    No, the charger has a USB port (for charging only). The charger plugs into your car's power outlet. You need a USB to Lightning cable to use it.

6. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

If your worried you might bring in the USB->Lightning cable and end up not having it in the car, get one of the two you linked (as they work only in cigarette lighter style power outlets).

If you have extra USB->Lightning cables already or want a little more flexibility grab the little one that gives you a USB port in the car (this is what I did, so if my phone is dying I can snag the USB->Lightning cable and charge the phone in at work after arrival without leaving my phone in the car on the always-on outlet)

7. araje macrumors regular

Keep in mind that the cheap car chargers do not charge the iPhone when you are running maps and keeping the screen on.

Make sure your charger atleast delivers 1 amp.