which car GPS for a Mac user

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tortellino, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Tortellino macrumors newbie

Hi all!
    I am looking to buy a car GPS device. What are the Mac-friendly models which are easy to use and have good features? I need to be able to update and upload maps/ waypoints from my iBook. I have a G4 CPU, so booting into Windows is not an option. I also don't want to spend money on Virtual PC.

Thanks in advance-
    T.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

TomTom models are very Mac-friendly - their desktop updater application works the same way in either Mac or Windows.

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i vote tomtom as well - i have a tomtom 720 that i connect to my mac using the tomtom home software. it does not, however, have exactly the same functionality as the pc version - there is no way to do itinerary planning in the desktop app that can be downloaded to the device (this can be done in the pc version).

4. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

I loved my feature-packed Garmin Nuvi before it was stolen.
    I was able to update the device flawlessly on my G5 without any problems.

5. benpatient macrumors 68000

So wait...the tomtom is recommended even though you can't do itinerary planning with a Mac?

will any 3rd party apps help with this?

isn't that a pretty big feature to be missing?

6. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

you can still do it on the device itself, just not on the desktop app and load it into the tomtom. only a minor inconvenience for me since i rarely use the desktop app as it is...

7. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

All recent GPS models have been very user-friendly. I really don't think it has got anything to do with being a Mac-user or not...

8. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

Another vote for the Nuvi. You really won't be connecting it to your computer that much, so compatibility isn't that big a deal. Although, I've had no problem connecting my Nuvi 350 to my Mac and loading pictures onto it. It will also double as an MP3 player (you take the stereo out into the car same as you would an iPod) with the nice feature that it will break into a song to tell you to turn.

Make sure you get a model (no matter the maker) that actually tries to pronounce the street names. "Bear right onto Maple Street" is a lot easier to follow than "Bear right". Also look at size - a big screen is not near as important as portability, in my mind. The Nuvi is nice and slim, you can put it in a shirt pocket. (Most of the models, at least.) And the ease-of-use is very Mac-like.

Dave

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Also, where you are/will be using it most have a bearing. Europe, TomTom. US/Canada, Garmin. The basemaps used by each company have greater accuracy in certain parts of the globe.

10. gotzero macrumors 68040

I ended up with a Nuvi after trying to find an answer to this on this forum. It works fine with the computer. I have been shocked at how great it is!

11. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

heh, this was asked in another forum I post in (NikonCafe) so I'll give my same answer...

I have a TomTom Go I got 3 years ago. It is a big pile of steaming crap. The maps are terrible (and I've gotten all the updates). At least once on every road trip it takes me miles in the wrong direction, only to have me do a U turn and go back. I did a comparison of 3 events I travel to last year (race tracks and the hotels I stay in). The TomTom had the address for one hotel and no tracks. My friends Garmin 360 had everything, and they were all in the POI database. Garmin: 6 TomTom: 1

If you choose to get a TomTom, never leave home without paper maps as a backup. You'll need them.

I'm planning to get a Garmin 760 before I go to Sebring in March.