Which car radio will charge the iPhone while playing iPod?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by pintnight, Jan 2, 2009.

1. pintnight macrumors 6502

I want to rip out my OEM car radio and put in a nicer car radio. So, at Best Buy I plugged my iPhone to the demos and all of them popped up a warning message "This unit cannot charge your iPhone. Do you want to turn on Airplane Mode?" Something like that.

What car radio will play the iPod and charge the iPhone?

EDIT: I have iPhone 3G.

2. alexprice macrumors 6502a

All I can say is that annoyingly my Alpine CDE-9881R won't. Even in Airplane mode. Where as my normal iPod works fine.

I have an iPhone 3G.

In fact, I'm struggling to find a iPhone car charger full stop. I've tried a few high street shops.

3. ncsimmons03 macrumors member

I know you said you wanted to replace the OEM radio but if you are mainly interested in connecting your iPhone for music check out www.diceelectronics.com. I have one of their kits hooked up to my VW GTI and it charges and plays through the OEM radio. I can either use the phone controls or the radio controls to switch through songs. It will also charge the iPhone while connected. I looked around for a good deck to do this and ended up choosing this option because it worked best for me. Just an option. If you are planning on using an amp or subs this probably won't satisfy your needs but I thought I'd throw it out there because it does work great for me.

4. pintnight thread starter macrumors 6502

It is annoying! My car has a auxiliary input and I can play the songs through my OEM car radio. But, I want to get a better car radio for a better sound and also to have bluetooth.

I'm not planning on using a amp or subs. My car is a 2009 Toyota Matrix.

5. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Apple should make a car stereo. With WiFi so you can sync it with iTunes when the car is in range. They would need to make iTunes capable of syncing over WiFi though. It could have a built in hard drive to store all the music.

Plus, if Apple made it then you know it would be really easy to use. ;)

6. ncsimmons03 macrumors member

Well if you aren't planning on using amp or subs the kit I told you about might work for you. CD quality sound, works with all the extra radio apps you can get (Pandora, Wunderradio, etc...). I am using a dice kit with a mount built specifically for my car that I got from Enfig Car Stereo which is an online dealer. Might not be for you but like I said it works great. Good Luck!

If Apple and Sirius would get together with an application for the Iphone I wouldn't need anything but my iPhone and Dice Kit in the car which would be great!

7. pintnight thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been using Pandora in my car also. I just want to replace my junkie OEM car radio. But, I need have the iPhone to be charging while playing the music.

8. Mr.Scarface macrumors member

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

That Sony unit looks good. Anyone know of a head unit that will charge the iPhone 3G, manage the iPod aspect of the phone, and support bluetooth phone conversations? A remote mic would be best.

Thanks,

Scott

10. jreamsnyder macrumors member

Check out the Pioneer DEH-P7000BT. I have it in my car and love it, use it with my 1G ipod touch and it works great, I don't see why it wouldn't work with a 3G iphone then. It charges my ipod and allows me to control it either from the faceplate or the ipod itself. On top of that the interface for controlling the ipod is pretty intuitive, unlike other units I've used. The unit also has built in bluetooth connectivity with a remote mic that I mounted on my visor.

So there you go. Bluetooth w/ remote mic, and full ipod control and charging via usb input on back of stereo, which you can route anywhere, mine is in the glove box. Here is a link, crutchfield is a great site.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P7000BT/Pioneer-DEH-P7000BT.html?tp=5684

Hope that helps!

11. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

That helps quite a bit! I looked in my bookmarks and found that I had saved a link to that head unit already. But your conformation that it works and that you love it seal the deal.

Thanks!

S-

12. TheBearman macrumors 6502

13. jreamsnyder macrumors member

One more thing about the pioneer unit. Since there are few buttons on the faceplate to preserve the clean look, it can be a little difficult to operate at first, as I'm sure many reviewers will gripe about. Just take the time to learn the operations and it won't be a problem. It's second nature to me now. Good luck.

14. ncsimmons03 macrumors member

The Charging for the 1st gen iPod Touch is different from the newer gen iPod touch and iPhone 3g. The newer models have USB charging which is a different style than the older models. Just because it charges an older iPod or iPhone doesn't mean it will charge the 3G