Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SheerGold

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Will ANY PCI-Express card work in the Mac Pro?

I am also especially interested to find out if ANY PCI-Express VIDEO card work in the Mac Pro.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Any PCIe card with Intel Mac drivers should work in the Mac Pro, USB, Firewire etc should all work.

As for graphics cards, all PCIe graphics cards will work under Windows in the Mac Pro but only the ones listed on Apple's site will work under OSX.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Chundles said:
As for graphics cards, all PCIe graphics cards will work under Windows in the Mac Pro but only the ones listed on Apple's site will work under both.
Fixed

If you're going to run just Windows any video card will work. Once you switch back to OS X you'll have to use an Apple provided card.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Eidorian said:
Fixed

If you're going to run just Windows any video card will work. Once you switch back to OS X you'll have to use an Apple provided card.

Yeah, s'what I meant.

roysters

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2006
But can I still leave the PC graphics card in there? Or would I have to remove it because that would be really annoying because I reboot back and forth allot.

Also, which (if any) windows based graphics cards are people using in there machine at the moment.

Cheers

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
roysters said:
But can I still leave the PC graphics card in there? Or would I have to remove it because that would be really annoying because I reboot back and forth allot.

Also, which (if any) windows based graphics cards are people using in there machine at the moment.

Cheers
Your PC video card will lock up OS X trying to boot. You'll have to pop it out each reboot.

roysters

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2006
Eidorian said:
Your PC video card will lock up OS X trying to boot. You'll have to pop it out each reboot.

Thats a shame. So would you say the easiest route to take is to just buy a MAC ATI X1900XT and use it for both OSX and Windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.