Which carrier has the best plan/deal for iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmk1974, Nov 29, 2014.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

my friend is looking to possibly switch from Sprint to either Verizon, ATT, or T-Mobile since he is no longer contract. Which provider offers the best deal for him and his wife to get 2 iPhone 6's? Probably only need about 2gb per line per month. Thanks!

2. willmtaylor, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The more important question is which carrier has the best coverage in your friend's area.

The other question is, "Why can't your friend go to Verizon.com, ATT.com, and Sprint.com?"

That being said, here's the verizon lowdown:
    2 single line plans w/2GB of data and unlimited talk + text are $75/each (no tethering)
    or
    A share Everything plan w/4GB of data and unlimited talk + text comes to $150 (includes tethering)

Both of these plans are contract plans meaning that they require buying iPhone 6's at a subsidized price (starting at $200) and fulfilling a 24-mo. contract.

3. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68020

dmk1974

In Chicago area, we have good coverage with all of those carriers (Sprint may be the worst of the 4 though). Just thought I'd check here to get opinions of what people thought were the best deal. Each has various promos, but in the end, I like to look at it as the total cost over 24 months.

4. SeilerBird macrumors 6502

SeilerBird

I have my iPhone 6 on Straight Talk. Unlimited everything for $45 a month.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Most of the deals for purchasing the phone itself are pretty much the same. All of the carriers offer payment plans. Though Verizon and AT&T still offer two-year contracts if you want to buy subsidized and don't mind being stuck on a contract. The bad news it that the monthly plans will be higher if you go on-contract, so you're not really saving anything in the long run.

So the deals boil down to what the plans are that are offered. If T-Mobile covers your area well, which you should definitely check beforehand, then they offer the best deal: 3GB per line, 2 lines, for $90 a month if the phones re bought up front full price. AT&T can get you the same price if you buy your phones out of contract outright, but you have to share 3GB between two lines (going up to the next highest plan at 6GB of shared data, raises the price by $30). And Verizon will give you 4GB to share for 2 lines for $120 per month, also if you buy outright.

6. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68020

dmk1974

I think T-Mobile is the best overall value as well. That's who I use and for where I go for work, it's been fine. Inside some large stores I'll sometimes lose a signal though, but pretty rare. And in even some of those cases, they have free WiFi that I can connect to to make calls/texts.

7. nickprete11 macrumors regular

I would recommend T-Mobile. If you're in the Chicago area, they're most likely to be fastest LTE network. If you travel outside of cities and suburban areas, it depends on the area. T-Mobile is really improving their suburban and rural coverage areas. Also, you get unlimited data, JUMP (if you want it), unlimited international text and data with them. Also, the price is likely to be the cheapest as well.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Best price will be likely T-Mo for plans but I have friends who have T-Mo and they get good reception in the city but sometimes zero on the road.

On a road trip my friend on T- Mo had to use my ATT phone as he had "No Service" most the time.

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

Coverage being relatively equal, T-Mobile is usually always the best deal. The lack of overages on the data plans ensures that your bill is the same each month as well.

10. InsideTJ macrumors regular

Check out Cricket. $55 unlimited with 10GB LTE on AT&T's network. I just switched from AT&T to Cricket and the change was transparent except for the extra $50/mo in my pocket. Same towers as AT&T, limited to about 9mb LTE speed.

I did the TMO test drive but was not happy with the coverage in my area, especially in buildings/garages.