Carrier Which carriers have the easiest plans that an average person would understand?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EbookReader, Feb 3, 2014.

?

Which carriers have the easiest plans that an average person would understand?

1. Verizon

12.5%
  2. AT&T

20.0%
  3. Sprint

10.0%
  4. T-Mobile

57.5%
  1. EbookReader macrumors 65816

Just among the 4 major carriers. So excluding prepaid, MVNO etc...

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

None of them.

Cause they offer so many plans the math gets confusing.

Add the new monthly device payments plans may add to the monthly charges advertised vs some people who bring their own phones. Or those even on tmobile older plans still are on contract with subsidy upgrades. So don't bother playing the tmobile angle either.

It's a mess. Than add taxes with vary by city and state.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

My kids are both in college and they want to take their lines away and go off and get their own service so they can upgrade from their handmedown iPhone 4's and get shiny new iPhone 5's for $99 plus $40 a month. PLEASE. I explained to them that 4 lines of iPhones costs upwards of $250 on At&t or Verizon and a single line would cost even more (per line).

The 4 companies you mention are all tricksters. I've used all 4 of them over the years, indirectly if not directly. The following are some of my impressions:

Tmobile (they were called Voicestream at the time):
    Very spotty coverage (I've heard it's better now)
    Lowest price
    Best international roaming these days (I've heard)
    Ability to make calls on wifi (I've heard)
    Nearly nonexistent LTE
    Allows "payment plan purchase" of phone without "subsidy" in plan price.

Sprint (I had 2 Virgin mobile phones for my kids at one time)
    Awful coverage, frequent dropped calls
    Every change to account incurs a new contract (this is what Sprint reps repeatedly told me when I called to ask about a new account)
    Aggressive pricing but arguably not as low as Tmobile.
    Nearly nonexistent LTE

At&t (I have been with them several times over the years)
    Decent coverage
    Recent "no contract" discount on smartphones of $15 a line. I have YET to see this actually show up on my bill (but customer service has issued credits until they get billing straightened out).
    Decent LTE
    Fast 3G speeds
    Clueless customer service, among the worst in any industry
    Able to change plans without extending contract (from recent experience)

Verizon (I went from Verizon to At&t)
    Absolute best coverage
    Best LTE
    Absolute highest pricing
    Best customer service of any phone company
    Able to change plans without extending contract (from experience)
    Rather junky feature phones and replacing a broken one too many times leads to new contract, hence our move to At&t and all iPhones.

So how do I vote in your poll? I don't.

Buying cell phone service is a lot more difficult than interstellar faster than light travel.:eek: At this point, I would say it's best to save up and buy the unlocked iPhone you want then pick a PAYG "carrier" to use it with such as straight talk. The $40 "fee" for having a smartphone on an At&t account is reduced to $25 if you bring your own phone. So if you pay $450 for an iPhone, then bring it yourself, you save $360 over 2 years. If you had paid $99 for that phone up front your out of pocket would be $460 so if you can find the phone of your dreams for $450 or less, it makes sense to tell At&t to stuff the contract and buy it yourself. Sadly the cheapest new iPhone costs more than that. If you're willing to deal with the snake pit that is ebay, checking completed listings I find iPhone 5's sold in the $450 range and I spotted a handful of iPhone 5c's that sold in the $350 range. So for what you would have paid At&t in extra fees for having a subsidized phone for 2 years, you could own the phone outright up front and get a little something for it at the end (since it's unlocked). Iphone 4's are going for around $100 on ebay these days.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

The latest ATT data plan just announced seems pretty simple.

$100 for 10gb
    $15 per phone

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

the carriers do not want you to be able to make meaningful comparisons; they make them as difficult as they can.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Verizon is the simplest to understand. Full subsidies and standard rip off rate share plans.

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

None of them. They're all a cluster**** and hard to figure out, unless you know exactly what you're doing

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

^ That about sums it up. None of them have the easiest to understand plans. I get a headache comparing them. All I know is Verizon has the best coverage, I've been with them for YEARS (family=DECADES) and the coverage has always improved.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

To pick a plan, your first task is to know what your usage are. Unless this is your first smartphone EVER, you should have some idea.

It gets confusing because you keep thinking, "what am I missing" and "shouldn't I go with 5GB *just* in case I need it?

Stick with your usage, run an App that monitors your usage so you won't go over. Practice restrain. Once you approach your max, stop watching videos, stick with your budget.

10. 617aircav Suspended

What if I only need 5gb?

11. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

I think the average Joe would be able to understand T-Mobile Plan. All they have is this.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/family.html

[​IMG]

If one of the lines need more data, they can add more data to that particular line:

[​IMG]

Bring Your Own Phone or
    Buy Your Phone Upfront or
    Finance Your Phone.

12. bniu macrumors 6502a

You still get the 10GB plan. See how simple it is? If you need up to 10GB, get that plan. If you need more, get one of the higher ones.

My hope is that one day ATT will be able to offer one rate again, you pay a set fee and off you go to use as much as you want.

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

10gb is cheaper. I generally only use 2-3gb. With the new hotspot feature, I will jump it up when traveling though.

14. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

Verizon is the easiest to understand. The other 3 carriers now have all this "no subsidy, different prices for each line added, monthly financing etc." Just look at how long the thread is with AT&T customers attempting to understand their new complicated plans.

With Verizon, it's straightforward. $40 per smartphone, choose you data bucket, and $199 per iPhone 5S with a new 2 year contract. Pay a lot and get the highest quality service. They don't have to compete on price as long as the other 3 networks are so far behind in quality.

15. aneftp macrumors 68040

I know you are the biggest t-mobile supporter.

We all know the angle.

Regardless, T-mobile's plans are still confusing. Notice they have the 2GB and unlimited GB add ons in very small font. And it's per line per month. Don't you think it's deceptive?

And "no contract" only means that in the true essence if you bring your own phone or pay in full upfront. Otherwise you still will have to pay off a hefty balance if you finance a few iPhones. Financing is added to your monthly bill. If you finance 3 iPhone 5S. You could be in for a sticker shock and end up paying $100/month EXTRA. How is that simple?

If t-mobile offered one data plan rate (unlimited) with unlimited talk and text (regardless of pricing) than that would be the simplest to understand. But they don't.

16. EbookReader, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

I suggest you look at their website

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/family.html

It's very easy for the average Joe to understand.

1) Choose how many lines you want
    2) Choose your data for each line

For example, on the third line

[​IMG]

As for no contract, it's for the service. There is a contract for a device if you choose to finance it. If you choose to finance your house or car, you also have a contract that say you have to pay it off. It's the same thing with the device.

I believe most Americans are used to financing a car by now. Pay something upfront and pay the rest off in monthly installments. It's a simple concept that most American are used to.

As for sticker shock: It's spelled right there by T-Mobile: [​IMG]

You pay $0 upfront. But you agree to pay $25 a month for 24 months. T-Mobile give you a $600 Iphone 5s.

You get the bill that say the $25 monthly installment is due and you are shocked?

T-Mobile never claim that they have NO CONTRACT on FINANCING your device. It's as wise as a bank having no contract on financing your house. It's as wise as you allowing a stranger to borrow $600 without a contract to pay back the $600.

The no contract is always about the SERVICE.

17. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

T-Mobile gets confusing for the average customer when you bring the phone payments into the plan.

That's why I say Verizon is the simplest. Pay $199 for your phone, sign contract, pay set amount every month for 2 years. Certainly not the cheapest but easily the simplest.

18. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Verizon and at&ts family plans seem pretty simple, chose your data, unlimited talk and text. 40 per smartphone, 20 for a basic i think and 10 for a hotspot or tablet. Simple to me.

19. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

20. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

21. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I really don't think any of the plans are that complicated. Pick how much data you need, pick the number of lines you need. Add them up. This isn't as complicated as you're all making it out to be.