Which cars offer/ will offer iOS in the car?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Jarrodbcall, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Jarrodbcall macrumors member

I know where to see which car companies will be using iOS in the car in 2014, but is there a way to see which individual car models will be using it?

Thank!

2. MrGuder macrumors 68020

This is a good question....I'd like to know as well...but it's a secret. ;)

3. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The only way we'll know which car models use it is when the manufacturer's announce which vehicles will be using it.

So far, the only vehicles that have been announced to support it are the 2014 Honda Accord, 2014 Acura ILX, 2014 Acura RLX, 2014 Honda Civic, and 2015 Honda Fit.

The manufacturers who have committed or expressed interest in iOS in the Car are: Acura, Audi, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Ferrari, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Holden, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Kia, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Opel (Vauxhall), Toyota, and Volvo.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

5. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

6. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

I have read in a few places that ford my touch my support it

7. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

This is the problem iOS in the car will have. Many manufacturers wanting their bloatware with Apples as a add on. Will mean lots of different system requirements. And when you need to update iOS in the car due to latest iOS or new features then because of the bloatware you will need to probably pay your manufacturer for a firmware update.

Apple needs to get a 3rd party manufacturer and make headunits they have full access to. The 3rd party market is where the money is. Millions wont buy a new car for this but will a new radio/mp3 player.

8. cynics macrumors G3

Is this more then just a rumor? Apple has been very careful with iOS since the start. Apple made = iOS, not Apple made = anything but iOS.

Maybe more of device mirroring? Apple made head unit? I just can't see Apple releasing the source code of iOS into the wild.

9. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I would like to see custom head units support this. I think a few of them support siri eyes free. I imagine iOS in the car support will come to them also.

10. AsterixGM macrumors newbie

I heard the 2014 Honda Fit will support it. There was one other but I don't recall the name.

11. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Im confused, in that list it says Chevy and GM cars will have it, but Cadillacs and Buicks won't when all 4 are part of GM? Not to mention Cadillacs and Buicks are supposed to be better than Chevy and GM. :confused:

12. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

Audi is working with Android for something super awesome..or so I read..

They are unveiling it in CES 2014.

:apple:

13. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

What exactly are you expecting from IOS in the Car in terms of features.

I can do bluetooth handfree today with all of my contacts on the car display and have access to all of my music controlled from the car.

I deliberately avoiding getting GPS in the car since I prefer to use an external device I can remove from the car and take with me when I travel overseas. My GPS device has most of Europe and all of North America maps.

What additional features do you need.

14. cynics macrumors G3

Which cars offer/ will offer iOS in the car?

Play Angry Birds while driving in dash.

I'm questioning this in general. Apple has never released an OS into the wild. Their OS's are ONLY on Apple devices.

Edit : never mind I did some research. It utilizes iOS via an iOS device. It doesn't technically have iOS any more then my Samsung TV when mirroring via AirPlay.

15. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I believe that by GM, it means GMC, which is a rebadge brand of Chevy aimed more at fleets/industrial/business, or it could mean the company, with the cars in the company being Chevorlet, Holden, and Opel/Vauxhall.

I don't know about nor care about Buick, but Cadillac is really priding itself on it's CUE system, which i'm sure it would rather everyone use.

----------

It's display mirroring. By using either a wired connection or wireless via AirPlay, the iPhone sends out a special video feed to the car's infotainment screen. It's basically a more unifed (and safer way) to access information from your phone in your car.

16. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Will we soon be at the point when our car purchases are heavily determined by mobile OS compatibility? (Car A only supports Android, while car B only supports iOS). A new consideration when buying a car.

17. c0LdFire macrumors regular

Yeah, this. I'll gladly buy a new stereo for the functionality, but I'm not buying an entire goddamned car just to have better compatibility with my phone. Some people seem like they have too much money to piss away.

18. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Heavily determined? I doubt that for my part. I might switch to another mobile OS in 2 years, yet keep the car for another 10.

19. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Attached Files: