Which Case or Bumper for accidental fall or drop protection?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Sounds Good, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I'm about to order a new iPhone 4 to replace my aging original iPhone 2G. I very seriously considered going with a Samsung Captivate instead (partly due to being concerned about the glass cracking on the iPhone 4) but I've ultimately decided to go with the iPhone.

Anyway... while I don't plan on dropping my new phone, accidents DO happen. So, which case or bumper do you guys recommend for decent protection from an accidental fall or drop?

Which one would be "good enough" (without going overboard) to prevent the iPhone's glass from cracking in the event of a typical fall to the ground?

Any particular suggestions??

Thanks!

2. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Well, even if youre iP4's glass does break Apple will most likely give you a free replacement. But i would suggest something from Switcheasy if possible.

3. Steveo47 macrumors regular

Well for max protection, check out the otterbox defender or otterbox communter. I think they make your phone extremely ugly, but thats just me. What kind of work do you do? like are you on a roof or are you high up all the time? I dont find the otterbix really necessary unless your rough with you phone or do work like fixing a roof. Otherwise i would suggest just a bumper and a screen/back protection film.

4. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm trying to avoid the Otterbox, since I totally agree -- uggg-leee (that's why I said "without going overboard" but I guess I should have said NO OTTERBOX :))

No, nothing like that. But twice my phone has fallen to the asphalt parking lot while getting out of my car. My old iPhone 2G survived both times... but I doubt the glass on the new iPhone 4 would have made it.

5. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

6. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

What's that?

7. FlyingScot macrumors member

FlyingScot

Speck Candyshell

I had an otterbox on my 3G. Now that they no longer cover the microphone openings / etc. I honestly think there is very little difference in protection between the 2 now - and the Candyshell is smaller.

I also like the fact that the candyshell (like the commuter) has a rubber interior.

8. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, I'll check it out.

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

There's a problem with the Candyshell interferring with the flash on the camera. The new ones won't be available for another 2-3 weeks. I picked up one from AT&T this morning and contacted Speck and they are sending me a GeoMetric case because I didn't want to wait for the new Candyshell.

10. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Its a gigantic case from Otterbox. Its waterproof.

Oh wait never mind, i meant the Armor, heres a pic. Isnt it beautiful?

Attached Files:

11. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

Apple bumper

Thatsnazzyiphoneguy on youtube did a drop test with the bumper on his new iphone 4 and it withstood a 3', 6', and 8' drop with out scratching or actually breaking the glass on the phone but his next drop was 22' high and the video camera kept recording but everything else failed like the back shattered, the LCD screen doesn't work, it wont turn on, and the glass on the back lifted off of the frame. so for minimal appearance change i would go with the bumper.

12. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, thanks -- I noticed that too in the reviews. Apparently the Candyshell is awesome on the 3G iPhone, but they mess up the flash on the 4.

Really? That's great news. I'm only concerned with breakage from holding it (then dropping it) or grabbing it from the car, etc. Normal dropping distance. :)

13. entraik macrumors 6502a

any good cheap cases on ebay that have a lip on the front.. dont interfere with the flash.. and cover the back portion of the iphone.. something with a grippy feel?

14. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

I think this is key. Looks like a lot of cases may end up blocking part of the flash. I'm guessing these things were designed with supplied stats (measurements, etc) but not with an actual iPhone 4 to test them. Either that or it was just an oversight...