Which case should I get? RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samuelabrooks, Jun 17, 2012.

1. samuelabrooks macrumors newbie

I'v heard good things about booq so I'm considering either getting this case http://booqusa.com/us/briefs/CSL-BLK or this one http://www.amazon.com/Booq-Taipan-Lift-L-Black/dp/B0030UKR3C (now discontinued on their site which is why I'm using their amazon link) but I'm not sure which one?

I'm looking for a somewhat rugged case that will protect my new Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch (I believe it fits both) that is both lightweight, has lots of room for powercords, notepad etc. and will not scratch my Macbook.

Feel free to comment other case suggestions but I am set on buying one of these currently.

2. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

I am a Waterfield fan but that is a nice looking case. I'd like to see one in person.

3. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never use a case for my MBP (other then a waterfield bag for transport).

Given the dimensions have changed a bit, perhaps waiting to what is being offered specifically for the retina MBP before deciding, is the best bet

5. David N macrumors member

I've used a Brenthaven Prostyle XF-III for my old 17" for a long time and it has been the best bag I've ever used. The XF-II (15" version) seems to be exactly the same bag but scaled down slightly for the 15", and that's exactly what I've ordered for my RMBP.

6. samuelabrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry let me rephrase "Macbook Pro Carry bag" I'm careful with my gear and I'm usually in a safe working environment so no need for cases ;) but I am still in need of something to transport some personal items and mac safely.

I was going to wait but I leave on the 27th of this month with the mac (if I'm lucky) arriving on the 25th. Plus from what I read it's still a comfortable fit for a Retina Macbook Pro 15 inch. In a situation where I wasn't in a hurry then I would of waited for bag's specifically designed for the retina Mac.

Checked out "Waterfield" Lagmonster and I like their rage and the look of their products. Still not exactly what I want sadly :(.

@David, thanks man! Checking it out now :).

7. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Ah, carry bag. In that case, I love my BBP Industries backpack. I bought laptop backpacks for over a year before I settled with this one.

http://www.bbpbags.com/industriesbackpack.html

8. The "Dude" macrumors regular

Thule

Thule makes a good bag for the 15" MBP. Sorry I can't post a link but it's easily findable on the Apple store. Has a rugged exterior and is even somewhat water resistant.

They also make a daypack if that's more your style.

9. leenak macrumors 68020

Generally, I like having a bag that isn't specifically designed for laptops and then using a form-fitted case. It gives you a bit more options plus when you remove your laptop+case, it's protected. The booq bags look nice though.

10. minnus macrumors 6502

I went with the CitySlicker from Waterfield. Damn expensive though ~ 191 (149 for just the bag, and extra for a handle and a should strap) after shipping

11. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I like the basic laptop sleeves from the Applestore and I just throw it in my regular backpack. No issues and more compact :) (even good for briefcase).

12. Karud macrumors newbie

13. Lyrrad macrumors member

I'm considering getting an Incase sleeve with the $25 coupon (and free shipping) from Google Offers. This would make the $50 sleeves only $25. However, I'm concerned about the fit, since while the Incase website states that their sleeves support the MacBook Pro retina, they were originally designed for the regular 15" Pro. I've seen a mention or two that it does fit, though it might be a bit loose. Anyone tried it and have pictures or video of the fit?

I already bought the Google Offers coupon since the offer expires today, but I have until September to redeem and I can get a refund if I don't use it.

14. iRobby, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  15. zenoran macrumors regular

16. richard4339, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I'm with you. I was just about to hit buy on Apple when I decided to look for a thread on it here first. Apple lists it as Retina compatible, but I'm still wary. No Apple Store is close enough for me to justify driving to look.

Edit: while we're both talking Incase, since you don't give a link, we may be referring to different incase sleeves. I'm just questioning it because no dimensions are listed it for it on Apple or on incase' website either.

17. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I have the Booq Cobra courier which is just a bit bigger than the Cobra brief you posted about and love it. It holds my mid-2010 MBP easy along with charger and plenty of notepads, magazines, ect. Even has two pouches on the sides for more storage and quick access on the go, such as boarding a plane. I plan on using it for my RMBP when I receive it in a week or two.

Hope this helps!

18. jtap macrumors member

19. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

20. wmerch macrumors newbie

I've looked at both of these bags extensively. I recently bought the new version of the booq taipan shadow m. Good construction, protects the laptop well. The pad on the strap is a bit thick, slips off the shoulder easier than other straps. Better made to use across the body rather than on a single shoulder. Also depends how much you're carrying, I use this for work and bring my lunch, ipad, and laptop. It's at max compacity with this.

As for the other booqbag, the cobra slim, I was looking at this too. The reason I avoided this bag was because of the lack of the flip over cover, and I felt this would protect the laptop less if it rained on my commute. The cobra courier may solve this issue but it was a bit out of my price range.

I also checked out crumpler bags (considerable embarressment and skivvy m). Def much more comfortable bag, and well built. Depends on the environment you'll be using the bag in. I really preferred these bags, but needed something a bit sleeker/professional looking for my use.

21. whatdoiknw macrumors member

i have the same dilemma. i'm torn about spending $255 for the booq cobra brief. it looks so nice.