which case to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joehahn, Jun 18, 2009.

1. joehahn macrumors regular

hey guys,

I'm totally new to this forum so if this topic has come up please don't yell and scream lol, but I'm about to go out and by the 15'' macbook pro and i really want a case for it too. I'm going to be using it at college next year so it'll be in my backpack being transported more often then not. Which case would you guys recommend for this purpose?

2. iSkier macrumors regular

Without a doubt, I would go with the incase neoprene sleeve. Especially for when it's in your backpack all the time, it's really nice.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

incase is a good sleeve. just depends on how much you want to spend. $30 is all that i would spend on a sleeve that is just going to be going into my backpack.

4. King James macrumors member

I'm a big fan of the speck cases after switching to one with the new MPB

5. Lipstick macrumors member

I got me the Booq Taipan in 'Cloud', its by far the best sleeve I've had!

6. MBP09 macrumors member

7. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

I've owned booq and incase sleeves, and I've been very happy with them. They're typically great fits, and the zippers don't seem to scratch the macbook.

8. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Neoprene sleeves protect against scratches and nothing else. In a backpack with books and pressure on the laptop you need something that can keep it's form and stop the screen from being crushed into the keyboard. Their are only three cases I would ever consider up to the challenge of providing great protection in a backpack with college books.
    The Axio Sleeve (Around $100), the Booq Vyper (Around $50), or the Tom Bihn Vertical Brain Cell (Around $60). I am buying a Tom Bihn case when I get my new MBP in a few weeks. It is basically the best protection you can buy, and will do more to protect your mac from the books in your backpack than a regular (non-hard-sided) sleeve.

9. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

Ah, that's what I get for not reading his post all the way.

Yes, if it's going to be shoved in your backpack with books and such, you may want something more like the vyper.

10. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

i wouldnt recommend the incases. The zipper on them scratched my macbook really bad.

11. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

As a counter to phoenix, I've had an incase sleeve for my macbook for 6 months, and I don't have a scratch on it. Once it's in the bag, there are flaps that sit between the zipper and the macbook.

Not saying phoenix is wrong, just that my experience differs.

EDIT: And by phoenix, I mean Phixion... good grief, my reading comprehension is swirling down the pot tonight.

12. WeedKiller87 macrumors member

WeedKiller87

13. MBP09 macrumors member

I'm planning to get the 15" Neoprene Sleeve Plus. i like the handle to carry it by itself and at the same time can fit when put in a backpack. Does anybody have it? And if so, what's your experience with it?

14. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I have the 13" neoprene sleeve. It's nice but if you're going class to class with the computer I would definitely get a backpack with a special compartment for the notebook. The more protection the better, plus then it never gets in the way. I used a briefcase style bag my first couple years of college but during the last two used an ogio backpack. Definitely the way to go in my opinion.