Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
I had the Tech21 EVO Rox case. I could tell it was a quality case I just didn’t like that it was squared off on the sides and not rounded. That case looks good.
Normally, I dislike the bottom cutouts of Tech21 cases, but the Studio Colour cases have nice cutouts. I ordered the coral coloured one for my girlfriend. I hope she likes it!

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
I didn’t like it and returned it to amazon. The back is not nearly scratch resistant
That’s a shame... My girlfriend wants a simple, slim and protective (about 2 m drop protection or more) case. Does anyone have recommendations?

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I received my Speck Presidio Grip. It goes without saying that this case has great grip. The phone snapped tightly into the case, which I really liked. The buttons are super responsive and camera lens protection is more than adequate.

My wife has a grip on her 7 Plus, so very familiar with this case. I’ll run it for a few days and see how it does. I like easy in and out of my pocket while on walks and this was my only real concern with this case.

Thank you @AE14 for the recommendation. :) Pics below.

Attachments

• 6FFCF165-468D-4ECF-9A91-F42DFD416715.jpeg
    6FFCF165-468D-4ECF-9A91-F42DFD416715.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 229
  • 18305ECE-05C5-448B-9BB8-0DEC57E1A56A.jpeg
    18305ECE-05C5-448B-9BB8-0DEC57E1A56A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 273
  • B2302ADD-86B4-451B-A5B7-A1377434B91D.jpeg
    B2302ADD-86B4-451B-A5B7-A1377434B91D.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 276
  • C619ACC7-7500-4D4B-B1C8-CB96EEEDF20C.jpeg
    C619ACC7-7500-4D4B-B1C8-CB96EEEDF20C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 253

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
This is what’s on my Max right now. Sometimes it’s a bit “boring” but I believe it’s the best case for the larger phones.

Reactions: scjr

Illmaculate

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
Just got the sheath in!

only thing I don’t love is the texture, although feels cool is slightly slippery. Wonder if this “breaks in” after a while?

Last edited:

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
This is what’s on my Max right now. Sometimes it’s a bit “boring” but I believe it’s the best case for the larger phones.
I was pleasantly surprised yesterday on my walk. No problem with removing it from my pocket. Not as easy as the Sheath or Synthesis, but not a bother either. Buttons on this case have a nice click and slightly better than those two cases. Going a few more days with the grip. What color do you have, AE?

Reactions: AE14

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
I was pleasantly surprised yesterday on my walk. No problem with removing it from my pocket. Not as easy as the Sheath or Synthesis, but not a bother either. Buttons on this case have a nice click and slightly better than those two cases. Going a few more days with the grip. What color do you have, AE?
I have the black, although I also tried the eclipse blue/black combo. I went back to the all black.

The only thing I wish for, for the grip would be the asymmetrical cutouts.

Reactions: scjr

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
Just got the sheath in!

only thing I don’t love is the texture, although feels cool is slightly slippery. Wonder if this “breaks in” after a while?
I'm not sure if it breaks in. When the Sheath was my daily driver for the better part of 2019, I thought it had a great grip. But after a month of using the Apple Silicone Case, I now have a hard time handling the Sheath, and it feels like a bar of soap. (It doesn't help that my hands are dry because I'm constantly washing them throughout the day.) The only thing I dislike about my Sheath is that every element of the bottom is too sharp for me: 1. Where the rough texture meets the smooth material isn't applied correctly, so there's a sharp edge there and 2. The cut outs for the speaker and lightning cable are all sharp. I've tried sanding them down, but it's still too sharp, and I can't hold my phone for too long unless I adjust how I hold it. I've resorted back to my forest green Apple Leather Case. I'm going to force myself to stick with this case and have it be my daily driver from now until eternity.
(Meanwhile, I have another tab open on my browser, looking at the Speck Presidio Grip.)

Illmaculate

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
I'm not sure if it breaks in. When the Sheath was my daily driver for the better part of 2019, I thought it had a great grip. But after a month of using the Apple Silicone Case, I now have a hard time handling the Sheath, and it feels like a bar of soap. (It doesn't help that my hands are dry because I'm constantly washing them throughout the day.) The only thing I dislike about my Sheath is that every element of the bottom is too sharp for me: 1. Where the rough texture meets the smooth material isn't applied correctly, so there's a sharp edge there and 2. The cut outs for the speaker and lightning cable are all sharp. I've tried sanding them down, but it's still too sharp, and I can't hold my phone for too long unless I adjust how I hold it. I've resorted back to my forest green Apple Leather Case. I'm going to force myself to stick with this case and have it be my daily driver from now until eternity.
(Meanwhile, I have another tab open on my browser, looking at the Speck Presidio Grip.)
Thank you for your thoughts, I feel the same but will give it time to grow on me.

Impossible to find a new forest green in Australia, otherwise I’d grab one too.

how many cases do you own now?

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
how many cases do you own now?
I sold a bunch of my cases because I felt I had more than I needed. Then I wound up buying some more cases, so now I'm back to having more than I need.

Here's my list: Pitaka MagCase, TORRAS Love Series in black, Spigen Liquid Crystal, Totallee Clear (Soft), Spigen Ultra Hybrid in clear, Spigen Ultra Hybrid in black, Evutec Northill in black, Miracase Liquid Silicone in black, ESR clear TPU, Apple Leather in midnight blue (but might exchange for black), Apple Leather in forest green, Apple Silicone in black, and Caudabe Sheath in black.

If I could, I'd get rid of all of them except the Apple Leather Cases and the Caudabe Sheath.

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
I think I’ve returned most of mine within the period, or I gave them away. I think I only have the Sheath, the Evutec AER, and the Nomad wallet case, with the latter two being the ones I mainly use.

rebretz000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2018
Still have my XS but I’ve pretty much given up on finding the perfect case. If bought at least a dozen but none of them are “perfect”.

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
Still have my XS but I’ve pretty much given up on finding the perfect case. If bought at least a dozen but none of them are “perfect”.
I'm in the same boat. I can't seem to find the perfect case. All of the cases I like to use (because of the buttons) hurt my pinky finger. (I hold my phone cupped in my left hand with it resting on my pinky finger.) All of the cases that have the bottom covered hurt because the cut out for the charger is too sharp, and all of the cases that have the bottom open hurt because the bottom edge where the back of the case ends is sharp, so there's always a purple indentation on my pinky finger after some time. The cases that I dislike (because the buttons are hard to press) don't hurt my pinky finger. That's why I can't find the perfect case. Either I like the case and hurt my finger or dislike the case and keep my pinky finger happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.