Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Was using Ringke Air for the X and I really liked it, so I got the same case for my Max.

This case is slightly thinner than the Spigen Liquid Crystal and Ringke Fusion, but I believe it still provide enough protection. Feels really good in my hands.

Here are some pics of my Max in a Ringke Air case.

View attachment 790971

View attachment 790973

View attachment 790974

The back of the case has dotted pattern to prevent sticking to the back of the phone.
View attachment 790977

There’s a Ringke logo on the back of the case. I can barely feel it when I run my finger across it, but might still bother some of you.
View attachment 790976

View attachment 790975

The hole for the camera aligns perfectly.
View attachment 790979

The top and bottom of the case have a slightly more raised lips for screen protection. The raised lower lip does not affect my ability to swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
View attachment 790980

The side of the case is ever so slightly raised above the level of my tempered glass screen protector.
View attachment 790981
It's a really good case but it'll yellow in a few months. Been using them since my 6+ and happened every time. Within a few months. But they're cheap enough to accept it.
[doublepost=1538431139][/doublepost]
Does anyone have any experience with the Caudable lucid clear? I have the Ringke air and I do love it. But I am always looking for a back up clear thin case.
Awesome case. Doesn't yellow at all. Crystal clear. But it's a bit slippery.

Winryito

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
Just received my caudabe lucid clear and totallee thin clear. Very very disappointed.
The caudabe case was decent, I had the iPhone X version so I knew what to expect. The one downside is that the case for xs max was way too snuggly. It was too tight of a fit and almost broke my nail trying to take it off.

The totallee case was NOT thin. It’s even thicker than caudabe and it was such poor quality. There were no precision speaker cut out and it was suppose to be the “new version”. It is definitely not a thin case, very disappointed and I don’t think I will ever purchase from them again.

Attachments

• A5291CDF-2322-4B8F-AAD0-B9F2687FD7D8.jpeg
    A5291CDF-2322-4B8F-AAD0-B9F2687FD7D8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 338

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
It's a really good case but it'll yellow in a few months. Been using them since my 6+ and happened every time. Within a few months. But they're cheap enough to accept it.
[doublepost=1538431139][/doublepost]
Awesome case. Doesn't yellow at all. Crystal clear. But it's a bit slippery.
Is the Caudable case thinner than the Ringke air?

HuskerHarley

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2017
Lincoln
Just received my caudabe lucid clear and totallee thin clear. Very very disappointed.
The caudabe case was decent, I had the iPhone X version so I knew what to expect. The one downside is that the case for xs max was way too snuggly. It was too tight of a fit and almost broke my nail trying to take it off.

The totallee case was NOT thin. It’s even thicker than caudabe and it was such poor quality. There were no precision speaker cut out and it was suppose to be the “new version”. It is definitely not a thin case, very disappointed and I don’t think I will ever purchase from them again.
Well, that sucks for you! Good luck finding what yer looking for!
[doublepost=1538438827][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1538438896][/doublepost]

Last edited:

HuskerHarley

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2017
Lincoln
Note, you must select VRS Design fulfilled by Amazon in order to apply the promo codes

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
Note, you must select VRS Design fulfilled by Amazon in order to apply the promo codes

Thanks. Grabbed a couple of these.

Also posted earlier about the Caseology Vault. I had the Caudabe Sheath for my X. I grabbed the Vault for my Max. It is a very close copy of that case for half the price. Look into that one if you like the Sheath.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Thanks! I had that one saved in my list for future ordering!! Saved a ton.

fiddlestyx

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Minnesota
I bought the spigen liquid crystal case for my Max. So far, so good. It looks nice and feels good in the hand. I had a spigen on my 6+ that lasted the life of the phone so hopefully this one does too.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Is the Caudable case thinner than the Ringke air?
Caudabe is an acrylic material; not TPU. So it's hard to say. I think it's pretty thin. Beautiful case. Been my go-to for a few years.
[doublepost=1538444715][/doublepost]

The Caudabe Lucid has cutouts at both sides at bottom that make it easy to take off. Mine comes off with ease using those cutouts.

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
8F000D5B-D910-41BA-9207-D6CC1CE0538F.jpeg
F1233920-65FD-4238-97DE-036BC7DBB9F0.jpeg
9AA4DC31-C115-44A8-A85A-C3C95D362296.jpeg
B41D6484-AB8A-4E68-B796-0163F2BB1C02.jpeg
14F46C65-5BE7-4077-BA81-E8F28D830AFA.jpeg
Took the plunge and got the caudabe lucid clear. I had it on my X for a few months. Loved how thin it was but having a three year old, I wanted more protection against drops. That sucker is slippery. But I keep coming back. So here I am with the lucid clear for the xsm.

Winryito

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
Caudabe is an acrylic material; not TPU. So it's hard to say. I think it's pretty thin. Beautiful case. Been my go-to for a few years.
The Caudabe Lucid has cutouts at both sides at bottom that make it easy to take off. Mine comes off with ease using those cutouts.

It was those cutoffs that almost clipped my nails(I don’t have any long fingernails because I am a professional pianist). My iPhone X was quite snug in caudabe’s case too but this was another level for me.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks for the info. I ended up pulling the trigger and getting the caudable lucid clear to supplement my ringke case and until I find an apple leather case with a color I like.

For anyone who wants to buy a caudable case, you can get 20% with NEWSTUFF promo code

Reactions: Zaned303

Zaned303

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Centennial CO
I went to the opening of the fashion square mall Apple store in AZ. I met one of the leather case design engineers. He told me they do a 12 foot drop test certification for the leather cases and it comes with a full warranty. He also said Apple Care is pro leather case if you have issues. I snagged a cape cod leather case and I have to say it’s much nicer then they used to be. Not as slick and it has raised lips on the front and around the camera. It’s almost minimalist and allows me to hold and use my XS Max with one hand. It’s really worth it! I’m very happy
[doublepost=1538454916][/doublepost]
I just got my caseology today as well. For the $3 I paid it’s amazing, for full price it’s still really good. Imo it’s easily as good as a Spigen tough armor for less than 1/2 the price.

What caseology case? I’m waiting on the Waterfall to arrive on 10/4! I’m stocked

The other cases I have or are waiting are
UAG Monarch Carbon Fiber - love it for traveling
Apple Cape Cod leather case - really nice for around the house etc
Waiting on the Element Case Illusion I’m stocked to see what they’re doing for the XS Max once I receive it hopefully next week I’ll post pictures

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England

I ordered two of these as I had a 70% discount code so with delivery to the UK it came to £21 for the two.
I went for this one as it seemed to be my holy grail of a thin, clear case with precision speaker/mic holes. The pictures on their site certainly show this to be the case.
Won't be happy if they arrive and are like yours!l

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
I went to the opening of the fashion square mall Apple store in AZ. I met one of the leather case design engineers. He told me they do a 12 foot drop test certification for the leather cases and it comes with a full warranty. He also said Apple Care is pro leather case if you have issues. I snagged a cape cod leather case and I have to say it’s much nicer then they used to be. Not as slick and it has raised lips on the front and around the camera. It’s almost minimalist and allows me to hold and use my XS Max with one hand. It’s really worth it!
12 feet? Really? That’s crazy if true

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to believe the Apple Leather case provides 12 feet of drop protection. Why wouldn't Apple put it on their website and brag about it? If this is true, I am going to an Apple store today and buy one. ;)

yea I love the apple leather cases... they are pricey for sure but I think they work well. and when the leather wears the case gets nicer and nicer.

Reactions: Zaned303

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
yea I love the apple leather cases... they are pricey for sure but I think they work well. and when the leather wears the case gets nicer and nicer.
I agree, the Apple Leather cases are amazing! However, I like good drop protection and I was never convinced it could safe my X from a 8 feet (or more) drop. So if this 12 feet is true and it comes with a warranty for it (as Zaned303 states), I will buy one for sure.

Reactions: Zaned303 and AE14

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
I agree, the Apple Leather cases are amazing! However, I like good drop protection and I was never convinced it could safe my X from a 8 feet (or more) drop. So if this 12 feet is true and it comes with a warranty for it (as Zaned303 states), I will buy one for sure.

well I have dropped my X from head hight 6ft and it held up fine. no issues with the phone.

Zaned303

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Centennial CO
12 feet? Really? That’s crazy if true

I totally understand and given in our modern era people say crazy things with pages of fine print to get you to budge on buying a 50 dollar leather case. I honestly found it interesting so I took the plunge. I figured why not. The only time I see it failing would be if it lands perfectly on a sharp edge on the bottom near the speakers and charging port. Don’t hold me to his claim lol I’m just a regular customer and I fell for his pitch! There was so many friggen people at the grand opening it was a circus lol

Zaned303

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Centennial CO
well I have dropped my X from head hight 6ft and it held up fine. no issues with the phone.

He said they do a crazy amount of testing on the case and go thru a numerous design changes until it’s perfect in thier eyes. He also touted they bend over backwards to back customers whom buy the case and have issues. I always have multiple cases as I travel to some insane parts of the world. Example being with my iPhone X when I go to Africa I use the Element case that has metal sides with a carbon fiber middle. I’m waiting on my Element Illusion case I’ll use for traveling and I’ll rock the Apple leather case around the house or town. I also have UAG Monarch if I get paranoid lol so not putting all my eggs in the Apple leather basket but after the show and tell he gave me I can see there could be something to his claim with the raised lips on the front and back camera and the fact they’re standing behind thier case with the warranty. I also have the Apple Care+ lost and theft coverage so I guess we’ll find out one way or another

Ps: I go back for work next week I’ll stop back over and run what he told me past the store reps and give you all a report back to continue the investigation! Stay tuned lol
[doublepost=1538485750][/doublepost]
It's hard to believe the Apple Leather case provides 12 feet of drop protection. Why wouldn't Apple put it on their website and brag about it? If this is true, I am going to an Apple store today and buy one. ;)

If you go by an Apple store today tell them that story I posted please and see what kind of intel you get? I’m going by a store in Colorado today to trade in my series 2 and series 3 watches for gift cards and I’ll do the same I’ll let you know :) let’s say it’s a sham.. another person posted here about dropping thier X at 6 feet and it survived! There could be something to this in a pill commercial kinda way! Regardless I love I can use my Max one handed with the case and it feels really nice lol good luck keep me posted

Last edited:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Phones breaking or not breaking from drops has so much luck involved. I’m sure Apple does drop test their cases but the leather has zero shock absorbtion. Which is the main thing that breaks screens. The silicone is at least a natural shock absorber because it’s rubber. Now I have friends that have dropped their phones many times in Apple leather cases and never broken it. But I really think it all comes down to how lucky you are. Did you drop it on a corner? Face first? Did you drop it on a even surface or something rough? How many times have you dropped it before? IF that leather case is tested at 12ft and the phones survive multiple drops then Apple is doing some crazy magic. These other much thicker rubber cases don’t even offer 12ft most of the time. That all being said I do believe we need to try to strike the balance between protection and form so the Apple cases are a good option. I just don’t have my hopes up for big drops.

Sent from my Apple silicone case with my Apple leather case in my bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.