Which cases will save an iPhone4 from a drop?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by burnside, Jul 3, 2010.

1. burnside macrumors 6502

There are a ton of cases out there for the iPhone 4 now which is great. With previous cases for iPhones, they protected the phone from breaking after a fall. Can the same be said now with the iPhone 4? I see so many back glass breaks that I wonder even if you have a case, will that be enough to save the back glass after a fall or two?

2. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I have to say that the bumper protects it quite well. Last night while I was out some guy bumped into me while I was using my iPhone 4.. it ended up taking a nice 4 1/2 foot fall onto brick floor. Not a mark on the phone or screen at all, the bumper has a few scuffs but it protects it better than I would have thought.

3. robjohns macrumors newbie

otterbox when it comes out, which is hopefully soon

4. wattsja macrumors regular

out now:

Speck Candyshell

My case of choice since they were introduced. I will also have an otterbox (when released) because sometimes you need that little "extra".

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I think it all comes down to the type of drop you're talking about and how concerned your are about keeping your phone as close to naked as possible.

I got a bumper today and I think it will protect from the normal drop. My classification of normal is a drop from about waistline straight to the floor.

There are plenty cases like the otterbox which will protect the back from breaking.

I feel like those cases are too bulky though. You wouldn't even be able to see the back to know if it did break.

6. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

Agree on CandyShell and Otterbox (overkill) but at this time I've heard CandyShells are no longer being sold (according to ATT guy) until August.

Bumper? After seeing my co-workers i4 with a tiny nick in the glass and he had his bumper on...no thanks. although they do look cool.

7. saucy1360 macrumors regular

bumpers aren't that reliable. my phone took a two foot fall onto flat concrete with a bumper on and my back glass is now shattered.

8. Ironworker808 macrumors regular

Ive dropped my 3GS from 17' With an Otterbox Defender on it.

No damage.

I'd love to go naked, but my chosen profession pretty much prohibits that.

9. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Mine fell out of my pocket getting out of the car today, apart from a small scuff on one corner of the glass its still fine - I've never been so scared to pick it up...expecting to see it shattered

oh it's "naked" by the way

10. burnside thread starter macrumors 6502

Man, this is what I mean. That glass is just cracking due to impact it seems. It looks like the case would need some sort of shock absorption for the back glass to have a chance.

Gotta say poor design on Apples part. I gave my old 2G iphone to my daughter. She throws it around like a toy, dropped it numerous times at a store or parking lot and it keeps on chugging along - with no case!!!