Which Charger will work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silbeej, Dec 9, 2007.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i've heard that the MBP charger, which has two power levels: 18.5V @ 4.6A, and 16.5V @ 3.6A, will charge a MBP as well as a MB. Now, i just spoke with someone on apple's site about it and i'm not sure they know what they are talking about. My question is, will a 60w MB power adapter charge a MBP, just slower because it is not as powerful? This would be useful, for around campus, there are tons of apple laptops, but usually the MB, and it would be handy to be able to use their chargers when i forget mine.
    Oh, also, does it matter if it is the older, large 85w charger, or the newer smaller one?

Thanks

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

It could have serious complications if you were to do that. If for some reason I found myself needing to charge my MBP with a MB charger, I would only plug it in while the MBP was off or asleep. I would not try charging and using it at the same time.

3. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

My thought is, why doesn't apple just sell the MBP power adapter for both? They both cost the same, and it would simplify their manufacturing??