iPad Pro Which charging option should I use: iPad Pro 12.9

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cassady, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Hello all.

We unfortunately failed to pack my iPP 12.9's stock charger after leaving our hotel after our last stay - need to replace it now.

Would appreciate some quick advice.

I think it was a 12w plug (that looked like all my other iPad chargers), and had a standard Usb>Lightning cable, but it was a noticeably thicker cable than my other iPad/iPhone cables. It was quite long as well.

I have a spare iPad 12w charger from my iPad Air 1 available - do I simply order another Usb/Lightning cable - OR - would it have been a special cable only for the 12.9" iPP?

Alternatively - is it worth it to splurge on the Macbook's 29w(?) charger, and getting a Usb-C>Lightning(?) cable for quick charging the 12.9"?

Would the only drawback be that the latter would only be of use on my iPP - as opposed to something that could also charge our other iPhones and iPads (we don't own a Macbook or any other Usb-c devices, apart from an ATV4)?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

I'm a bit slow this morning - what do you mean by this?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Well if you want to take advantage of the 29w charger with lightning cable for faster charges on your iPad Pro then to give you more scope you could get the USB type c to a which you can then plug any USB cable into.

5. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

That's a $50 charger plus a $20 USB-C to Lightning cable.

6. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

It's pricey. So I'm more inclined to look at the stock option.

Is it then just a simple 12w iPad charger, with a stock Usb-a>Lightning cable? That 'thicker' cable that the 12.9" originally came with, there's nothing different about it?

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Yes.

8. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

They say, the 29W (12"MacBook) charger and a USB-C to Lightning cable combination charges the 12.9" Pro much faster compared to the regular 12W charger that it came with. If you are going to replace the stock charger with its standard USB-A cable, it will cost you $20 for the charger and $20 for the cable. However, if you go and buy the 29W rMB adapter, with a USB-C cable, only the charger is more expensive ($50). So the net difference to you is only $30.

I'd turn this misfortune of losing the original adapter to an opportunity by upgrading to the 29W charger with a USB-C cable to charge your 12.9" pro much quicker.

9. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

I agree.

You are correct to price the options out using actual stock components rather than 3rd party. There are so many counterfeit "approved" chargers and cables that buying Apple from a reputable retail outlet is the only way to be sure.

Yes, the 29W/USB-C solution is more expensive but the ability to reduce the recharging time is greatly helpful for those of us who heavily use our 12.9 iPad Pros.

10. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Many thanks. Appreciate the feedback - know what I need now.