Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Yes, the ones with mini Display Port (24" and 27") will work perfectly fine with your MBP.

Since they're Apple branded, the used prices are usually quite inflated though. You probably shouldn't pay more than 500 bucks for one of these, maybe a bit more if you really want that design. But then you're coming in a territory where you could get a nice 4k screen.

Rugbydman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
Yes, the ones with mini Display Port (24" and 27") will work perfectly fine with your MBP.

Since they're Apple branded, the used prices are usually quite inflated though. You probably shouldn't pay more than 500 bucks for one of these, maybe a bit more if you really want that design. But then you're coming in a territory where you could get a nice 4k screen.

What would i look for in a 3rd party screen. would it power the macbook?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
can you recommend one
What do you use the monitor for?
Gaming?
Designer
Photographer
Videographer
Email and web browsing

What size screen would you ideally want?
24"
27"
32"

What's your budget?

Answer those questions then we can help you.

But the Apple Cinema screens are glossy fingerprint magnets that are overpriced on the second hand market imo.

Rugbydman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
What do you use the monitor for?
Gaming?
Designer
Photographer
Videographer
Email and web browsing

What size screen would you ideally want?
24"
27"
32"

What's your budget?

Answer those questions then we can help you.

But the Apple Cinema screens are glossy fingerprint magnets that are overpriced on the second hand market imo.

So basically my iMac died and 2006 macbook is old. so I'm looking for a cheap screen to see how i get on and maybe wait until new macbook pros released.

i use it for email, Skype, word, powerpoint excel, and watching video that i often have to clip into smaller sections

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
It's too bad Apple stopped making cinema screens. They should make a TB3 screen with an eGPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.