Which Civilization game would be best for me?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by HIGham13, Mar 12, 2011.

1. HIGham13 macrumors newbie

I have a 13" Macbook Unibody. I'm not sure what model it is, but I got it in late January 2011, and it was (might still be) the latest version.

Well, I'm not sure of what I'd need to say... I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.6, I have a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, an NVIDIA Geforce 320M graphics card, and 256 MB of VRAM. If there's anything else I need to tell you, please let me know.

So, the question... could I run Civilization IV or Civilization V better? I'd be purchasing from Steam.

2. BobbyCat macrumors regular

BobbyCat

No problem at least up to Civ IV. My MacBook is weaker than yours and it runs fine on an external 20" screen.

You can even play Civ. 2 on Classic Mac OS 9 through SheepShaver :)

I heard Civ. V was more demanding, I suspect the playing experience could be less pleasant.

3. HawtTuna macrumors member

Civ 4 runs perfectly. Civ 5 works well only on Windows, don't bother with it.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Err... incorrect. Civ V runs fine on Macs.

5. HawtTuna, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

HawtTuna macrumors member

Runs pretty crappy on my 2010 Macbook. Same machine as the OP.

6. doh123 macrumors 65816

as long as you run on low graphics settings... it runs fine. I've played civ5 a lot on a 2010 MBP with a 320m. I have a much better machine now and it runs great.. no more low settings... but was perfectly playable before.

7. HawtTuna macrumors member

Playing at bare minimum settings is still terrible. Moving around the map is terrible, I thought the patch was supposed to resolve that. The game is still gorgeous at low settings however, much improved on Civ 4 but they need to fix that. Playing it on Bootcamp is much better.

I believe the OP will have a much better experience with Civ 4.

8. eobet macrumors member

It runs fine on Macs via Bootcamp. It runs like **** in OS X.

Civ 4 is a better "civilization" experience anyway, but please do give Aspyr support **** about the still persistent anti-alias and cmd-tab mouse cursor issues.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I have no problems running Civ V on a similarly spec'd machine. Sounds like user error to me.

10. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I had a Macbook Pro i5 330m and it really struggled with Civilization V even on the lowest settings so I think the 320m would have even more trouble running it. Civilization IV ran MUCH better on it so I'd suggest you pick up that one.

11. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

How does Civ V run on the 2011 13" (HD 3000 graphics) in bootcamp (if at all)? I'm assuming it'll be utter crap in OS X

12. doh123 macrumors 65816

you have to run it in bootcamp as far as I know... the OSX port of Civ5 has no text in any menus or the game on the Intel HD 3000... maybe Aspyr will fix that sometime, but right now its totally unplayable.

as to the debates over the 320m... what is playable is very subjective. Lowest settings with 15 fps is fine for some people in a turn based game, and others find it horrid and won't play.

Playing the biggest map, late in the game, even my 6750 has trouble keeping up, watching it drawing in the ground texture all the time when I move too fast...

While Civ4 has some nice parts about it they need to add to civ5... overall civ5 is a much better game. Civ4 always gets boring as heck to me later in the game when you can just make 50 units and stack them all up in one square and devastate any city and defenses easy... in Civ5 not being able to stack units and having to use a lot more strategy seems more fair and fun. For that reason alone I'll never play civ4 again.

13. evaporateddwarf macrumors regular

Will Civ V run fine in osx on the 2.2Ghz 2011 mbp with 8GB of RAM?

14. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I would stick to Civ 4 too. PIck it up during a steam sale with all the expansions.

I like it better than V and it runs like butter.

15. BobbyCat macrumors regular

BobbyCat

You know what? For some reason I never really enjoyed Civ 4. Maybe because of this religion thing that never really impressed me.

I remembered how pleasant it was to start a new big game in Civ 2. So I found it back in my archives, and thanks to SheepShaver I have that pleasure again. Now I can do on my Intel MacBook what I've been doing for years on Classic OS 9: spend 30-40 hours on a large Civ 2 game while listenning to my favorite music. And at the same time still being able to monitor other things like mail coming in, etc.. In other words, a perfect combination of concentration on the game, action and strategy, without being totally cut off from the outside world.:D

16. doh123 macrumors 65816

if its a 15 or 17..... yes. if its a 13, no... not until Aspyr patches it to work right with the Intel HD 3000.

17. evaporateddwarf macrumors regular

15" 2.2Ghz quad i7, 8GB RAM, 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5.

18. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

19. KommunistKat macrumors newbie

Civ V runs beautifully on my 24' iMac.

20. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Everybody's talkin' about graphics, so I'll talk about gameplay. I prefer Civ IV to V. I got tired of the small city states very quickly; they were just too whiny. I also prefer the Religion dynamic present in Civ IV. And of course, who can forget Leonard Nimoy's narration in IV.

21. 87am macrumors regular

Yes. I have the same computer and basicslly max everything out and it works flawlessly.

22. evaporateddwarf macrumors regular

I've never played a civ game before. The only similar game I've done is the Total War series (Rome and Medieval II). I bought Civ V, but haven't opened it yet.

23. aCondor macrumors 6502

^ :confused: So... your response is "I don't know, I haven't played it?"

Civ5 is a more streamlined game. Watch some demos on YouTube to get a better opinion. The biggest difference between the two games is Civ 5's "single unit per hexagon tile" rule.