OS Neutral Which Classic PC/Mac or Console Games Should Be Ported To iOS?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Lord Hamsa, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Spurred a bit by comments regarding EA's Sim City announcement and how gamers would prefer just a port of Sim City 4 instead, what games or game series would people like to see faithfully ported to iOS.

(And in this context, "faithfully" means either a direct port, possibly with touch-screen modifications in control and graphics updates, or new games in an existing series that keep the same kind and quality of gameplay.)

All with the understanding that there are limits to what can be ported in terms of storage space and processing power on an iOS device.

I don't have an extensive list, but some that come to my mind are:

• The Tropico Series - either as a port or as a new entry with the same combination of city building and political simulation. Frankly, I'm surprised that not only hasn't it been done by Kalypso yet, but that there don't even seem to be any clones out there.
    • Dungeon Keeper - for real, I mean. If for no other reason than to erase the memory of that horrible offering from earlier this year.
    • The D&D "Gold Box" titles - Pool of Radiance, et. al.
    • The Wing Commander Series - again ports or additional entries would both be good ideas
    What does everyone else want to see?

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

• Diablo and/or Diablo II
    • Half-Life
    • System Shock 2
    • Carmageddon 2 (the first game has been ported)

3. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

The original StarCraft and BroodWar.

Band-selecting a herd of Zerglings and telling them to attack would be rad with a touch interface.

And a pixel perfect Ultima Underworld with a re-worked touch interface. That would be awesome.

4. babens macrumors member

I would love some of the old Lucas Arts games that were built on the SCUMM engine like Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Maniac Mansion, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, etc.

5. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

I'd be happy to see some of the classics being mentioned above for modern OS X versions myself.

6. VI™ macrumors 6502a

I think the biggest thing would be the touch interface. I don't think that would work well with games that involve more action like Wing Commander. It's better suited for RPGs and adventure games if you're talking about old ports.

I do enjoy the idea of Lucas Arts ports. Sierra games would make good ports as well, at least the point and click ones that came after the graphics/text adventure games like PQ I & II, KQ 1-4, SQ 1 & 2, etc...

Planescape would make an awesome port. The Legend of Kyrandia series, the graphical Zork, The Seventh Guest, and other similar games. I did see they came out with the Out of This World remake and they're remaking Flashback: A Quest for Identity, although I don't know if it's going to be an iOS game.

7. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Some of the LucasArts titles like Monkey Island have already been ported, I think. But your suggestions have some precedence.

8. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

Flashback would be awesome to be ported to iOS (given that the touch controls would be well-implemented).

Also, the sequel title to Flashback, which was 3d but I'm sure that the modern mobile devices can handle it easily: the "Fade To Black".

What an awesome series.

9. MichalM.Mac macrumors regular

MichalM.Mac

Heroes of Might and Magic (Pick your favorite one) Perfect game for iPad
    full featured Civilization

10. VI™ macrumors 6502a

The heroes games are a great idea. I have one of the more recent once on Steam and the controls are just point and click for the most part with scrolling.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

HoMaM2! 8) And Civ4 would be extremely awesome...

My vote would go to Summoner also, and the LucasArts games.

12. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

this. CIV 1. i know theres the crap civ revolution and a few copycats, but the original CIV 1. :apple:

13. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

The only computer game I played as a child was Super Sonic Racing R! :D

14. Lord Hamsa thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think touch would be too hard of a problem for the WC series. You can use the gyroscope for ship navigation, and then have virtual buttons on-screen to cycle weapons/targets/waypoints, and of course, fire control. No problems with the non-combat controls, because they were all point-and-click anyway, easy to translate to touch.

It would take more work than just typical RPG or adventure game port, though, that's for sure.

----------

I'm partial to Alpha Centauri, myself.

15. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Wowowowow! Flashback was one of my favorite MacPlay titles!

(MacPlay was the Mac division of then gaming giant InterPlay)

I did not know anyone announced plans to bring that back to MacOSX. Although I really hope they do updated graphics, much like Beamdog did with Baldurs Gate II Enhanced Edition. Otherwise…. I don't see the point of bringing back the outdated pixelated game.

16. bensimpsy macrumors newbie

if anyone from LucasArts reads this - Escape from Monkey Island!!!!

17. VI™ macrumors 6502a

They are.

I was browsing the gaming section of Hulu for game trialers and one for a game called Flashback caught my eye. Found out it was for the sequel and procede to squeal like al ittle girl.

----------

Which one is that? I & II are available on the iPad. I have them.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

All I want is tidied up ports of Scumm games. I don't want to play complex controller games on iOS, but touchscreen point and click games would be excellent.

19. cosmichobo macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

The shareware Puyo Puyo release for Mac...

Pararena
    Scarab of Ra
    Rescue!

20. bensimpsy macrumors newbie

Number 4

21. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

The rest of the little wing pinball collection!

22. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Crystal Caliburn II was the best masterpiece of Little Wing collection, and it's already been on iOS for a couple years. It's on my iPod touch. :)

Looney Labyrinth maybe? That was another big hit back when they released the original MacOS 8/9 games.

23. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

24. Bonfyre macrumors newbie

Bonfyre

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (make it happen SEGA)
    Super Mario Bros.
    Freedom Planet
    FNAF World

I think that's about it for my wishlist.