Which color calibration device for dual display setup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sneak3, Aug 19, 2014.

1. sneak3, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

sneak3 macrumors 6502

Hello!

I'm about to venture into the realm of color accuracy!
    I have a high res antiglare macbook pro and a 23" LG basic IPS external display.

Should I get the ColorMunki Display or the Spyder4Pro?

By main goal is to have the exact same colors on both screens!

Cheers!

2. carmona macrumors newbie

First of all be sure both screens use the same backlight type.

For matching my dual display setup I use Spyder4Elite because it includes the StudioMatch calibration, where it first calibrates both normally. Then you run a second calibration with this StudioMatch function, where the software already knows about your displays.

This matches my screens.

For screens with different backlight types there is even the SpyderTune function with the Spyder4Elite, where you can adjust the lower quality display to match your primary display even beeing a different backlight type.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

ColorMunki Display or Xrite i1 Display Pro for me. I prefer the software to the Spyder range and the devices measure more colours so should get you slightly better results.

4. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Have you tried to match display-to-display with i1 pro? Does it work like spyder4elite?

Thanks! I'm hoping the i1 pro to work in the same way, as it's cheaper haha.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Yes it can match displays, as long as you have two displays that are the same. My home set up is an iMac and a NEC Spectraview, so I don't see a good match as the NEC is a wider colour gamut and matt screen.
    I only use the NEC for colour accurate work. The iMac is for web browsing etc.

6. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah as I said my monitors are not the same, unfortunately. I have a macbook and an external monitor setup.

It's weird, X-rite doesn't say that monitors needed to be the same, so I thought it would calculate based on the "worst" monitor color.

Have you tried to extensively use the Multiple Display Match feature or you tried once and forgot about it?

In any case should I go with the spyder4elite because of the "studio match" feature?

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Since I got the NEC, I use the Spectraview software rather than the Xrite, as I am able to access the LUT and do a hardware calibration rather than a software calibration.
    Tbh either will do what you need, but if the i1 is cheaper I'd go for that one.

http://www.xrite.com/i1display-pro

Also most people seem to say the i1 is better.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=x...er+4&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

8. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502