Which color (Nintendo DS Lite) should i get?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ddollar, Jun 27, 2008.

1. ddollar macrumors member

ddollar

I am buying a DS i dont know if i should get the black or the white. The white wont show fingerprints on the outer casing as easily but the black will make the screen seem brighter when playing games. What do you guys think? LOL its like trying to pick my macbook all over again.

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

o.0...I'd go for the White.

3. airlights macrumors regular

I would get pink, but seeing how that isn't one of your options, I choose white. I hate the black.

4. David G. macrumors 6502a

Get whatever color matches your MacBook. Problem solved.:)

5. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Your reasoning for the black is lame. The screen is not affected by the system color. I got the white.

Ditto.

6. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I have a black one and in general, if the color black is available, then I get it. :cool:

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The black looks much sleeker as the white really shows the labels, and bits and pieces you don't want to show on the back of the case. Having said that black also makes it look like you're trying to make your toy look like a work tool. Which, in turn, makes you look like a tool.

8. ddollar thread starter macrumors member

ddollar

Well i decided that i will get the black. Thats if i even get the DS now i conisdering getting a psp :eek:. You guys have input on this choice i so on the fence its insane.

9. egor macrumors regular

How long do you want to wait til you get to play your game? How long do you want to play the game before the battery runs out? Don't get the PSP if either of these things matter to you. Also don't get the PSP if you want regularly released games, I don't think developers are backing it much anymore.

Some PSP games are great, but the hardware is just a bit lacking - it mostly comes down to UMD being a crap format for portables. And considering some DS games are great too, I'd go with the latter. But then it depends what kinda games you like to play...

10. ddollar thread starter macrumors member

ddollar

Thats the thing ill like a wide range of games, games like god of war, lumines, papaton really interest me and games like zelda,mario,metroid, advanced wars interest me as well. The DS i know is easy to mod which is making me lean towards it but the the PSP while i dont know how to mod i know i can do alot more with it. Anyone have a noob guide to modding a psp?

11. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Get the opposite color of your MacBook for a nice contrast. Problem solved. :D

BTW: I'd go for black.

12. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

:)

13. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've owned both but settled on the white model. It doesn't show up fingerprints, but the shoulder buttons do go a slight shade of grey after use.

I've only played with 2 black DS Lites and on both the dpad didn't feel as good as the white model. I don't know why this would be the case but it would take extra force to press a diagonal.
    The black DS is also good for playing in the dark since the unit itself doesn't light up, you just see 2 floating screens. The white model reflects light and you can see the DS itself when in total darkness. Minor detail really.

And go for the DS :) the PSP is good but not a patch on the DS's expansive game library.

15. Surely Guest

Surely

The PSP is pretty easy to mod- and if you can't figure it out, you could always find someone on craigslist to do it for you. Just do a google search, there are a bunch of straightforward guides out there.

If you get a PSP, make sure you get Locoroco and Me and My Katamari. They are both awesome, especially Locoroco. Daxter is pretty good too

I'm selling my unmodded black PSP slim and games actually...... I just don't have any time to play anymore.

16. ddollar thread starter macrumors member

ddollar

You need to mod it to put nes,snes, genesis games on it correct. I asked this on a video game fourm but couldnt get a straight answer.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You need to mod it yes. It can be a difficult task, you basically need another (already modded) PSP to hack your battery and to install a set of applications on your memory card. Some wizardly later and you can then play homebrew on the PSP but it's risky business. If you do it wrong you're very screwed and you'll have a lovely bricked PSP.
    It took me a good few hours to get mine the custom firmware on mine (mod/hack/custom firmware, all the same thing for the PSP). Whereas homebrew on the DS Lite is taken care of via an M3, basically a DS cartridge with a slot for memory cards.

18. ddollar thread starter macrumors member

ddollar

Do you have a link to an easy to follow guide to hacking a psp i have read up on it somewhat and it seems like you can mod it by making a Pandora battery which involves opening the battery and disconnecting a wire. I have heard about the DS modding being much easier i bought an R4DS card the other day to try on my brothers DS and if all goes well i will probably get the DS. But the thing that intrigues me about the psp is that i can play ps1 and N64 games on it so if i can figure out how to mod it i would defintley get it over the DS.

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Too MANY BETTER games on a DS, when compared to a PSP. Buy for a portable gaming system first, then mod second. Not the other way around. Ideally it would be good to own both. I have the R4DS and it's easy to use. I have all of my supported Lucas Art Graphic Adventures on it.

If you get a DS, go with the Blue & Black or Red & Black DS. I have the black one, it's my favorite when it comes to appearance, but it's biggest draw back, is that it's all glossy. The colors mentioned have matte bottoms, which are much nicer to hold for longer periods of time. I've gotten used to my DS now, but If I had waited a month, I would have bought the blue one. I'm still planning on getting one and giving my black one to a friend.

<]=)

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You only need to play around with the physical side of the battery if you don't have another PSP to aid you.
    And you cannot play N64 games on a PSP. I hate when people on these PSP sites talk about this, N64 games on the PSP are unplayable. They don't play sounds, they're missing buttons. PS1 emulation is perfect since it was developed by Sony themselves. Though the PS1 game will either be cropped or stretched since they're in 4:3 and the PSP has a 16:9 display.

I'd still recommend the DS though.

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Get the pinkest DS you can find. Modding the PSP is easy but you need to be careful not to brick it...look up "modding PSP" and you'll find a lot of tutorials.

There are a lot of good games for both system and BOTH are still supported by developers. Theres no point in saying the DS library is better when majority of the games might not interest you. Look for games you are interested in and decide from that.

Bless

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

23. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Lime Green TRULY plays BETTER games. :)

I wanted a lime and white G3, but those whores at Apple never delivered. :(

<]=)

24. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I don't know... I think this pink PSP has the lime green DS beat.
    [​IMG]

<]=)