Which colour laserjet printer for my new Macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wotsit, Feb 19, 2014.

1. wotsit macrumors newbie

I've just bought a new Macbook Pro and discovered that my colour laserjet printer will no longer work with it (it's a Canon). I'm a bit gutted but have resigned myself to needing to buy a new one. I run my own business doing training and use colour handouts, so I need that function. Also have a small home-based office so can't have a photocopier-size thing, but want something that has good (cheap?!) running costs and won't die in a couple of years.

So.... which brand / make would you advise that I get in order to avoid this kind of problem in the future? Anyone got one for similar purposes that they're really happy with?

I'm running OSX Mavericks. Thanks!

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

What model printer? Sure there is no Canon driver for it for OSX?

3. wotsit thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a Canon LBP5200. On the Canon software site it looks like there's a driver, but it doesn't work with OSX Mavericks. I think it's just too old now and Canon have stopped updating their drivers for it.

All the other recommendations I've seen have been for monochrome laserjet printers, but I need a colour one. Any suggestions?

I've seen that Brother seem to be a reliable make with Mac OSX.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Do you have an airport or a router that has a USB port on it? If you do then you can get round the driver issue.

5. wotsit thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have a Wifi router with a USB port on it. Sorry I'm not sure what an airport is, not very techie. If it's something on the Macbook Pro then most likely I have it as laptop is brand new.

Wifi router is downstairs plugged into phone socket. Printer is upstairs but is not wireless.

How does a USB port on Wifi router help?

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Some routers allow you to plug your printer in and then run as a print server.

7. wotsit thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh OK, thank you.

How do I find out if it does that? I guess I'd have to get a new phone socket installed upstairs so that I could plug the printer in. Might be cheaper than buying a new colour laserjet though.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Xerox makes a good line of color lasers. I bought a Phaser 6350DP like 9 years ago, and it still runs like new. It does 10k prints with one cartridge and the imaging drum, transfer kit, fuser unit, are all separate parts.

I don't think they sell this model now, but they have newer ones that are probably better.