Which comp does the Russian president own?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by sash, May 9, 2008.

1. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

2. MaximusNL macrumors newbie

Superb, but what has it to do with "buying tips, advice and discussion", or is this the number one reason to buy a mac :p

3. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I'm suprised he would run a US capitalist computer.

Somehow I imagine him running a Thinkpad as they're now Chinese owned, i.e. owned and made by a fellow ex-communist nation. But of course now the new hyper-capitalist russia recognises that Windows is inherently unsuitable for any nation that wishes to seriously challenge the USA.

So he's probably running some form of security-enhanced Unix. But they're rather austere, and the new Russia likes its glamour and luxuries so back to OSX it is.

Must be an old photo - any recent photo would show him with a MBA. However I imagine he has no shortage of flunkies to carry his MBP 19''.

4. sash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sash

8)

Well you know, his definitely not programming on his Mac, so Mac Programming is not the right place to post. It's not an iPod nor iPhone, not an Apple TV. Maybe I should have posted that in Mac Gaming...

No, the real reason is that I've personally convinced him to buy the Mac, and he's now kind of Mac evangelist in Russia and amongst other world leaders.

In other words, I've gave him a tip, he bought it. Which makes the post perfectly suitable for this rubric.

5. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

6. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

cool. I love these kinds of stories. Thx for posting.

7. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

and he already got that smug look in his face... yeah. a mac user :D

8. sash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sash

... which sounds quite hallucinant when applied to a Russian president.

9. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

comp owns Russian president?

In Soviet Russia you don't own computer, computer owns you!

Or post-Soviet Russia in this case...

10. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

/russianaccent

In Mother Russia, computer no owns you, KGB owns computer, KGB owns you, is good yah?

/russian accent

Nice story, was good reading yah.

11. sash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sash

You're right, I'm sorry, my English is far from perfect. Shame on me. I meant 'does the Russian president own'.

12. hickster macrumors newbie

Yeah, Al Gore, Rush Limbaugh, and Carl Rove all use Macs too.
    Interesting yes, But I just think it's funny how people continuously drag politics into computer choice. What works, works;)

13. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Whatever old Vlad tells him to own, of course.

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I thought that was antonio banderas with a bad haircut :eek:

15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Why the hell do people get excited when they see celebrities with a mac. If 7% of all computer users are mac users, and the number is a lot higher with celebrities because there rich, then yes a lot of them will own macs.

Who cares?

16. sash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sash

You're right in general, but 'excitement' is a wrong word in this context. Curiosity is a much more suitable word. Why does the WP write about their story (quite related to the issue)? Do you know that this photo has been changed after the elections? Do you know what precisely has been changed and why? Isn't that plainly interesting to know?

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

You know what would be more interesting??.. if Bill Gates uses any Apple laptop/desktops! I bet he does!

18. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

19. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

It's a kind of doubling of interest. Macs are still "different" so they stand out in general. And celebrities are special (or so our media outlets insist). So a celebrity with a Mac may seem quite extraordinary.

It's actually the Mac that makes the celebrity special... ;)

Imagine that you pass by a celebrity's ranch property and there are some horses or cattle grazing in the distance. Big deal, that's Joe MovieStar's place. Only thing makes it special is Joe Moviestar, eh?

But if you pass his place and there are a bunch of palomino horses or some Belted Galloway cattle, the place will tend to stick in your mind even more, because not that many people have either palominos or that breed of cattle (at least not in the USA.

So now it's "Joe Moviestar's place, you know.. the one with the adorable oreo cookie cows!"

btw you have not lived until you've seen a baby Belted Galloway. They are the next teddy bear craze, probably.

And yes, they are expensive, like a Mac. And just as worth the $$.

20. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

No dude, don't worry. I wasn't making fun of you. In fact, your English is much better than my Russian, which is очень плохо. The way you wrote the title just reminded me of that stale joke that's floating around the internet, that's all.