Which companies make bumper cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by DashSatan, Jan 14, 2012.

1. DashSatan macrumors 6502

I'm looking to buy a bumper case cause I just bought my slickwrap carbon fiber. Which bumper cases do you personally like? And which companies have bumpers? I'd prefer one that's not a knock off and not aluminium because I don't want any signal issues

2. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

If you have a black iPhone and it has wraps on it I would just get the Black bumper from apple. Just my opinion. But also there is SGP, their bumpers are really good. Its 2 pieces with the inner piece being silicon and won't scratch the antenna and the outer half is hard plastic.

3. DashSatan thread starter macrumors 6502

The only reason I'm leaning away from the apple bumper is cause I heard a lot of people have problems with its fit staying firm. They say it loosens.

4. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

It does loosen up after a while. Main reason why its does in most cases is from removing it often to clean it so it won't scratch the antenna. Since you have wraps for your antenna you won't have to remove it at all because your antenna won't get scratched being that its covered.

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I have genuine black and what apple bumpers for sale @$18 including shipping.

6. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

The biggest reason you should lean away from the Apple bumper is because it is a RIPOFF. These same bumpers are all over the net and eBay for a fraction of the cost.

Search around on this site and others and save yourself a bundle.

7. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Some will scratch the antennae band. Put a vinyl wrap on it first.

8. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Hi can you please explain what the difference is between the bumper and the wrap? I thought they were both for protecting your phone from scratches but not drops. If you have a slick wrap why is a bumper necessary? I just order a slick wrap myself for my first iphone so I don’t know much about the do’s/don’ts regarding it. I would like to know what bumper (if it is recommended to have a wrap and bumper) is the best as well. Thank you.

9. Boston Rhett macrumors regular

Imagine a normal iPhone case with the back taken off. That's essentially what a bumper is. It surrounds the sides of the iPhone and leaves the front and back completely exposed. Most bumpers do provide some drop protection -- not as much as full-body cases, but more so than wraps. People typically use bumpers because they want to protect their phone somewhat while still maintaining the original look and size of the iPhone as much as possible.

So you're correct in that both a bumper and a wrap should protect your phone from scratches, but a bumper will also insulate (somewhat) against drops where a wrap won't.

Some people use bumpers and wraps simultaneously to give their phone a more custom look. Some bumpers allow enough room to be able to use side/back/front skins; others have a very tight fitment and won't work with extra stuff on your phone. Additionally, some bumpers will leave scuff and/or scratch marks on the metal antenna band, so a side wrap underneath the bumper can prevent that from happening.

There's no consensus on which bumper is the best, as different people will tell you different things. It really comes down to personal preference. There are a ton of options, from $3 Apple knock-offs on ebay to $200 "designer" bumpers. It really just depends on what you're looking for and how you would judge value -- do you put a premium on design? functionality? price? color? size? customizability? etc. Take a look through the different threads on these boards to get a feel for what kinds of bumpers are out there and which you prefer.