Which computer for Photoshop CS3

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jthessin, Oct 11, 2007.

1. jthessin macrumors newbie

I have waited several months to purchase a Mac that will run Photoshop CS3 speedily. I have assumed that I should wait until the new MacPro's are announced over the next several months. Am I being foolish holding out for such a fast (and expensive) machine (plus the need for a new monitor)? Would an iMac work instead?

My current computer is a G4 1.67 GHz Powerbook.

Thanks in advance for all your good thoughts.

Jim

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

My previous machine to my current one (bought 2 weeks ago) was an AMD X2 dual core. It ran CS3 perfectly fine. That processor wasn't even as fast as the new iMac processors. I also had a video card that wasn't comparable to the new iMacs. On top of all that I was using Windows. These new iMacs will run CS3 with fantastic performance.

3. jlanuez macrumors 6502

4. jlanuez macrumors 6502

COOL! :cool:

5. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

ummm cs3 actually runs rather speedily on my core duo 2.0 macbook pro in my sig... (with an external monitor as well ofcourse hehe) I find it runs great... and it also runs pretty damn fast on the white intel imacs in our smaller design labs... a new imac would be blazing with cs3 I can only assume, they are beasts of a machine for the price and form factor :) CS3 isn't as hungry as say... 3d modeling programs via parallels/vmware or bootcamp (which i run pretty well on my computer too actually) or video editing stuff... but either way, a new imac would be more then enough :)

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

ew glossy screen and photography = lose.

7. HooHar macrumors member

jthessin... How are you finding your iMac?

Do you have your new iMac yet :) ?

I've read all sorts of conflicting information about the difficulty or ease of calibration of these glossy glass machines.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

8. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

whoa lol when i first read this i just saw the 400 dollars and I was like you sold everything for 400 dollars...damn where was I.....then I saw the 1900 and realized I can't read :eek:

9. jwt macrumors 6502

Another vote for glossy screen (iMac) and phototgraphy don't mix. The problem is that the glossy screen oversaturates (which looks beautiful, by the way) the colors, making it hard to reproduce colors accurately.

10. RustyMac macrumors member

GO iMac 2.8Ghz Core 2 Extreme! If you compare with a MacBook Pro, it is actually a faster machine! It's like have a iMac Pro!!! Do it now, I just bought mine today! They have been upgraged and won't be upgraded for a while (I hope). I will be proving that you can do it all on the non-pro level computers (no offens to the Pro users:)) My next computer will be a MacBook non-pro.

11. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

true :(