Which computer to buy, to run Final Cut Studio

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by apeden, Jul 21, 2011.

1. apeden macrumors member

I have a 2007 macbook pro, 2.2ghz and 4gb of ram. I need to upgrade to a better/faster computer. I have a budget of around $3,000 and I am not sure which computer to buy. Either a MP, iMac, or a MBP....I am not sure which one would be the best for my money. With my money I can get a fully upgraded iMac and a fully upgraded 15inch MBP, but I would not be able to get a fully graded MP.

Another thing is where can I get Final Cut Studio...Since final cut pro x has come out, nobody is selling the old the final cut studio (white box one). I want that one to edit on.

Thanks

2. bluap84 macrumors 6502

1. Final Cut Studio has been EOL'd probs only has a year of life left, and isnt being supported. So either jump to FCPX or Premiere / Avid

2. I have a i7 2.93, 12gb iMac and that runs anything with ease. I bought the iMac refurbed for £1300 and bought the 8gb upgrade kit from cruical for £50

sure you will be able to get the same type of thing where you are.

3. MacStu09 macrumors regular

I'd go Mac Pro, upgrade it over time. It is SO MUCH BETTER AND CHEAPER to buy a base model from Apple, and upgrade it yourself. The same model that would've cost us $14,225 from Apple, cost me and a friend $4,015 total. For example, we put 32gb of the same brand ram Apple uses in it for $325. Apple charges $1,550. Not kidding.

The iMac is good and all, but if you're a person who frequently has more uses and more needs from a computer, get the mac pro. Upgradeability is a huge factor.

By a base mac pro for $2,499, upgrade it as much as you want. Check local university's/places like Fry's for FCS 3 HD or ebay. My old school still has it on shelf for $299.

(Eventually I would switch to Premiere Pro or Avid until Apple brings FCX up to par).

4. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

I like the iMacs. The bigger the better. The Mac Pro is more upgradeable, but I like to changeover my iMacs every 3 years anyway so the point is moo.