Which computer to use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silbeej, Oct 25, 2007.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i'll be getting my iPhone in a few days, once i hear back from verizon on whether i don't have a plan right now, and i'm wondering which computer i should use. I've got a PC, which is always on, or a MBP, which i carry around a lot. I want to use the MBP for it has address book and is a lot better, but my pc has all my music, and is turned on all the time, as well as i would have the iPhone dock plugged in all the time, unlike the MBP. What would you think?

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I was in the same situation, with a Vista desktop PC and a MacBook laptop.

I just decided to sell the Vista box and applied the monies to a new iMac 24" and go all-Mac.

I recommend you do the same. :D :cool:

3. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, my pc is very very very powerful, and didn't cost me a lot, i built it. Also, as an engineer student, i need some windows programs, and i like games as well. So for now i can't sell my pc. MOstly the reason is i don't have/can't get enough from my pc to buy the mac that i would get in a few years, (mac pro).

4. rayward macrumors 68000

If you are going to need to sync a lot, say, for example that you listen to lots of podcasts or are a heavy user of the calendar/address book etc., then I think you should go with the PC.

If you are simply going to load up your music once and then pretty much run your iPhone as a stand-alone device, then the MBP would be better: there are occasional syncing issues with Windows.

I currently sync to a PC, but that's only because I've been waiting to buy an iMac.

5. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

One question about that, does the iphone come with address book/ical like software for the pc? What do you use in place of the address book and ical from a mac?

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I think on the PC side it syncs with Outlook. No software is included.

7. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

damn this is a difficult decision to make. I don't use outlook on my pc, i've got palm desktop for my treo. Anyone know stuff i'm leaving out that may swing me one way or the other?

8. Chakalaka macrumors member

It all depends on where you keep your calendering and contacts really. I keep everything on my Mac and thats what I use. If you have identical info on both sides then I wouldn't worry too much. I haven't used outlook on the PC other than unarchiving mass emails as part of my work but I find that using iCal and Address book on the Mac really easy and it syncs nicely. Even contact pictures get addressed to emails when I receive them using mail app on the Mac once you assign it on the phone.

9. philhyde macrumors member

Some apps being developed for the iPhone are mac only right now. This is bound to change, but it is a consideration.

10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You can sync things separately with the iPhone and it works flawlessly. I sync my calendar and contacts with my work computer, and my music and videos with my portable. Would that work for you- the contacts from the MBP, and the music from the PC?

11. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

that would work perfect
    i love the interface of the osx, but current financial status allows only one luxury, and it will be an iphone. down the line i will buy a mac pro and i will be able to let my workstation go to bed, forever. only thing is iread that you need to use a pre iphone version of itunes, so it doesn't erase everything when you sync with another computer?

12. rayward macrumors 68000

You can also sync your iPhone with a Yahoo! Address Book. When my Outlook link wasn't working properly, this is the work around I used. I copied my Outlook address book up to Yahoo and from there down onto the iPhone. The downside was that Yahoo only accepted contacts with email address, so I had to go in and recreate contacts for the non-email types manually.

Bottom line: trying to connect something as classy and sophisticated as an iPhone to a Windows machine is never going to be pretty.

13. rayward macrumors 68000

Theoretically, no software is required. In practice, I've found the Outlook - iTunes relationship to be very buggy. All MS's fault, of course.