Which condo should I rent?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cleanup, Mar 12, 2010.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I need some advice! I'm looking for a new place for a year lease and I'm torn between the following two properties. I don't mind people knowing the names. They're popular buildlings. Here's the lowdown.

Note: I ride a bike daily. It is worht more than the rent on both of these places and is thus very dear to me. I would ideally like to store the bike in my apartment but one place (B) does not allow this. The other is probable to allow it (A), but I need to double check.

I like both places a lot. But I need some advice!

Bangin' Bachelor Pad A:
    http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a219/cleanupinaisle3/Murano/

The good:
    Probable guarantee of in-suite bike storage
    50 more sq. ft.
    Far more storage space

The bad:
    Terrible view (essentially the Toronto Police Headquarters building)
    As a result, little sunlight (I love natural lighting)

Bangin' Bachelor Pad B:
    http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a219/cleanupinaisle3/The Met/

The good:
    Gorgeous view, high floor
    As a result, lots of sunlight
    Dedicated bike racks inside parking garage (seem secure and I saw some pretty pricey road bikes)
    Closer to amenities
    Large population of gorgeous single Asian women

The bad:
    50 less sq. ft.
    Far less storage space
    Adamant rules against bikes

:eek: Which one would you guys take? Rent is the exact same, by the way.

2. splitpea macrumors 6502a

B. You'll miss the space less than you'll miss the light, and the bike storage options sound decent. Both look like great places to live.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I vote B.

The "probable" in suite bike storage is not better than the guaranteed in garage secure racks.
    Extra storage space leads to extra accumulation of crap you don't need.
    Do you really want the police at eye level with your banging bachelorhood? (and the view is not likely to inspire a romantic mood)
    4 words: "gorgeous single Asian women"

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

What are the rules against bike at condo 2.

Personally I vote for condo 2 as I would value the view and the light more than the little extra space. Something I miss from my apartment I had was going out on the balcony at night and just sitting there.

Mind you the view did suck as it face the complex office but it was the 3rd floor.

5. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

If you were to choose place B, where would your bike go? Because with such an expensive bike, where else would you feel safe putting it?

6. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I would pick apartment B hands down. You are giving up 50 extra square feet for a place with a nice sunny view. You want to be in a place where you are happy. To me keeping your bike in your apartment has a downside. You would need to take it in and out of the elevator and walk it through the halls of the apartment building every time you wanted to use it. I can see why an apartment would have rules against that.

My wife's parents own a condo in Missassauga and I'll be heading up there most likely sometime in June. That 401 north of Toronto is just nuts.

7. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Both look fantastic, but i think i'll go with B.

8. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Personally I like A better, more space, beautiful.

9. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

They have dedicated bike racks in the parking garages. They seem secure enough. I'm just afraid I'm going to get a crappy location, in like P4/P5 or some bullcrap. That would suck. Also I normally run a brakeless track bike... so going downhill to P4/P5 would suck assballs. Forgive my language.

10. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

How do you stop a brakeless track bike if you ride it in the city? What do you do when the unexpected happens and you need to stop like now? What is the half life of a rider of a brakeless track bike in Toronto?

11. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

A is better. You don't want to live in a place that doesn't like bikers.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

So "A" is at College and Yonge. The sirens from the police cars might suck.

Where is "B" located?

13. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

I think I might have to go with B. I called a friend who lives at A and he contacted his concierge and while there's no official rule on bikes yet, the board that's being put together is apparently leaning toward a no-bikes policy, and I don't think I have the energy to fight that...

Sigh, B has such little space. But at least it'll be cosy.

I guess by living in a nicer place I have to sacrifice some liberties. Really makes me angry because the rent is quite a bit higher than my current place, which is a two-bedroom rental address.

Surely, A is a block north of Bay & College, B is at Yonge & Carlton.

I live at Bay & Bloor currently so I'm used to the traffic/city noise. I like it. It's comforting, to be honest.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

So they're both in the same general area then, separated by a block or so.

I've never heard anyone refer to Yonge and College as Yonge and Carlton:p I guess it's because the condo is east of Yonge.....

I guess I would go with B as well. Good light is an important thing. And the plethora of single Asian girls is a big plus.:D

I used to live in a condo at Front and Jarvis... that's a fantastic area as well.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am try to understand the stupid bike policy and why not allow bikes to be stored in one place.

Sorry but to me that does not make sense big time for some one like me who plans to own multiple bikes several work a few thousand buck.
    Now I would not have a issue with my commuter bike be stored elsewhere but like hell would I want my mountain bike and road bike not in my apartment

As for the bike rule one thing to think about is how would the enforce it on you

16. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

If you are an active person, you might want to stay close to the sun and those single asian women.

I don't like the second flat; I hate low ceilings and small flats, but without enough natural light, your mood might suffer. Besides, living close to a police headquarters might not be so much fun.

Which area is more affluent?

However I prefer the first flat, I think to me, the area, safety, convenience would be the main factors at this stage.

If you like the second flat; you don't find it too small and you like the furnishing, then choose the second. Good luck with the women!

EDIT:

if you like the area where you live now, why change? Or, perhaps change is what you need... God, this must be the most useless advice! Sorry!

17. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

I really am at a crossroads with this... sigh. *Rips hair out*

18. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

19. Reventon macrumors 6502

Both look nice, but given the choice I'd go for "B". Part of the appeal of owning a condo, IMO is having a good view and the natural ambient lighting looks good. Yonge & College (Carlton, I don't know of anyone who refers it Carlton either lol) is a great area with some pretty nice views. I used to work there in one of those big skyscrapers in the 15th floor and I can see the lake from the lunch room cafeteria. It's really nice.

20. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

From a fellow Toronto native.

Few thoughts.
    Both a great places.
    Cannot beat security of condo+police station which is headquarters, not too far from downtown and starbucks just at Yonge (less than 6min walk).

But regarding sunlight for Condo A: Are you going to REALLY sit in your condo to enjoy sunlight?? Seriously in Winter it may matter but not that much. In the late spring/summer/early fall you should be OUTSIDE! That's what the bike is for right ;)

You're most important consideration is what the 'hood is like. Sure you're in a condo but what are the neighbours going to be like? What are the possibilities of becoming better than random acquaintences with them ... possibilities of them coming over or you going over their hutt?
    I think condo life strips this away from many peoples thoughts of considering a condo; and is very different from apartment life.

Another to consider is your hydro costs for each? Are you considering going from renting to purchasing?! To be honest you really should consider that.

PS Check out the newer condos just down the street across from the police station on Bay they may be better options.

21. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

I took too long to decide and somebody made an offer earlier than me for Condo B, the Metropolitan. I had actually decided to go with that one, but am now delegated to live in Condo A.

I dont mind. The decision has been made for me.

In fact, I emailed the current tenant and she told me that theres plenty of sunlight throughout the day. I suppose perhaps her judgment may be different, but Ill have to trust her. She has no reason to encourage me to rent it.

Cheers everyone!

Cleanup in Toronto

22. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Well, I was going to recommend B, but the choice has already been made. Regardless of where you're at, make the most of it. It's all going to change again....

23. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

24. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP