Which configuration of Macbook Pro 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by helen8297, Sep 26, 2014.

1. helen8297 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm saving up for a 13" macbook pro retina. I'm fairly sure i'm going to upgrade it to 1TB flash storage to hold all my music, photos and videos.

However I can't decide on the other specifications. I'll mainly be using it to do work on documents, spreadsheets and a teaching flipchart program, as well as editing photos and videos, watching films etc. Most likely no gaming!

I'd like to know how much of a difference there would be between buying the cheapest 13" Macbook configuration as it is sold, the most expensive 13" Macbook configuration as it is sold or configuring that Macbook most expensive 13" Macbook to have all the faster and more expensive configurations made to it. (does that make sense?)
    I know all laptops will, over time, steadily decline in speed, boot up, shut down etc. But i'd like to avoid that as much as possible.

Any advice please Macbook Pro experts?

Thank you! x

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I went with what a lot of people consider the "sweet spot" for the rMBP.

I5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB of SSD storage. My system screams and runs smooth as silk. This Config is a great balance between performance and reasonable cost. Hope that helps.

3. helen8297 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's very helpful thank you! How long have you had yours? How is it now compared with when you first bought it?
    Thanks! X

----------

And forgive me for possibly asking a stupid question...if I'm going for higher storage (probably 1TB) could I do with upping the processor and ram or would it have no impact on them? X

4. michikade macrumors regular

michikade

Which configuration of Macbook Pro 13"?

Mine is exactly the same configuration with the exception of having a 128GB SSD. I don't personally need a ton of on-board storage, myself - I have stuff I don't need on hand everyday saved externally. Storage is where I would say that it is to each their own but I do otherwise recommend the processor and RAM config unless you do so much at the same time that you need the 16gb. I personally don't.

I agree that it is blazing fast and smooth. It runs just as fast today as it did when I bought mine 13 months ago.

5. helen8297 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are your MacBooks 2.6 or 2.8ghz processors?

Do you think the difference between these would be noticeable?

Also, would getting 16gb RAM be significantly faster and more responsive than the 8gb?

6. leman macrumors 604

Generally, no. It might depend on what you do though.

Generally, no. It might depend on what you do though.

;)