Which Connection for best video quality?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by old-wiz, May 7, 2013.

1. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have a 2011 13" MBP and a 32" 720p Television.

I also have an Apple TV and can use the AirPlay Mirroring to mirror the MBP to the TV and it works fine.

However, I was wondering if I would get better quality on the TV by using a mini-display port to HDMI cable?

Thanks for any advice.

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

In my experience, yes. I find Airplay to be a little janky compared to straight HDMI wired connection.

I have fast internet but not a great router. Sometimes it will get all pixelated for a second using Airplay, so I use HDMI.

So I guess the answer is yes if you ever have problems with Airplay as HDMI won't have these problems.

It also depends on the quality of the file you're watching

3. old-wiz thread starter macrumors G3

I've been experimenting with the AirPlay...After doing some youtube videos I decided to pop in a DVD..DVD loads...turn on airplay...then..screen on both MBP and ATV/TV turns to checkerboard of black and white..???

Is there a limitation on using DVD Player with AirPlay?

I tried several times, and it simply won't do it..

Any ideas?

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Yes, this is an anti copyright measure taken by Apple.

I'm pretty sure the way to avoid it is use VLC Player. It's free and way better then the default player anyway.

5. old-wiz thread starter macrumors G3

Thanks! I probably read something on this but I didn't pay much attention since I wasn't trying to use airplay at the time.