Which console should I buy?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sahni130, Sep 27, 2008.

1. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

hello everybody! I am looking to buy a gaming console and I can't decide between the Xbox 360 or the ps3. They both have all the games I wanna play but which one has better mac compatibility? Which one can I coonect to my mac to stream music and movies? Which console do you think Steve jobs has?does he even have one? This is probably he wrong place to post this so I apologize in advance for that.

also what kind of cables and software will I need?

2. Munix88 macrumors member

I don't have any of the newer gen systems (had a Wii but sold it on eBay) nor have I hooked any of them to a Mac but I think I can add something here.

First think about the fact that Xbox 360 is put out by Microsoft. Microsoft = I'm a PC. I don't think the number one supporter of PCs is going to have a system that is going to play nice with Macs. Just a guess though.

I'd say the PS3 is probably more likely to be compatible with different kinds of music and video streaming. I think it's obvious though that streaming through iTunes is not an option. If somehow it was I can imagine some intricate steps must be taken to get it to work. Or there could be some kind of homebrew thing that lets you.

I can't think of any easy way to do any streaming between the systems but then again like I said I don't have any of the systems. Heck try Googling it "mac to ps3 streaming" or something of that sort.

Oh and if Steve Jobs has any of the systems it's probably a Wii just because they're white and slick looking... Or a 360 so he can beat on it to get his old man frustrations out.

3. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

ok.. thank you. ha ha the last part about steve jobs beating a 360 is hilarious. so is this a vote for the ps3?

4. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

I own an Xbox 360 (and a Wii). I have had no problems connecting my Mac to the 360. I use Connect 360 to stream music, photos and videos from my iMac to the 360. Works like a charm, even plays HD files with minimal buffering. Music is also a breeze to use. The 360 will bring up your playlists, and let you view by artists, albums, songs, etc. Plus the 360 game library can't be beat.

5. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Just because this is a Mac inspired forum, I don't think the fact that Microsoft makes the 360 should have any impact on your decision. However, having a PS3 myself I would recommend it. Its got a lot more artistic and inspiring games like Little Big Planes, Pixel Junk and WipEout. But look at the games for both platforms. The 360 might only be around for a couple more years and this late into the game, the PS3 has longer legs.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Honestly? I'd just get a PC but I am addicted to Team Fortress 2 (the proper version) :D. Also addicted to Brawl. No other game has really held my attention for a long time, but I'm very picky when it comes to games.

I'd opt for the Wii though. Twilight Princess, Prime 3, WarioLand, Galaxy, Kart, Brawl and that whole VC. Hell even Wii Sports still gets a few plays when mates are round. Most "fun" system I've played to date.

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^ there is a bit of FUD/fanboy filtering that needs to be done in that thread iirc

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ There is FUD and fanboy crap in that list.. But if were honest that's EXACTLY what these threads always conjure up and for that reason alone it may as well stay intact.

10. madfresh macrumors regular

Look at the games of both consoles, see which games you prefer, and make your decision based on that.

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

*hugs* Exactly what I meant! :p :eek:

12. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Do you want to play Gears of War? Get a 360...

Do you want to play WipEout HD? Get a PS3...

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh he asked PS3 or 360...

In that case Wii.

NO! I meant PS3. It's become a fighter of a console what with LBP.

14. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

yeah, LBP is looking like a killer app according to the β testers...

Besides which, Wipeout rocks hard...

And I lost interest in sweaty men with shiny guns a while ago...

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hah it's like you read my mind. I wrote but deleted a bit about how I'm not looking forward to Killzone or GoW2 because of that very reason :D Nah I'm more into my smart shooters like HL2 or comical ones like TF2, but the whole forum knows I'm a mega Valve fanboy :p
    But I still am sick of pretty much any mindless FPS game that's spewed at us now. Regardless of the system.

16. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Oh no, these again. I've been ignoring it but I guess I'll reply.

Look at released and upcoming (exclusive) games. Figure out which ones you want the most.

LittleBigPlanet is amazing, so I'd have to suggest PS3 IMO :D. Now let me get back to making my sweet first level.....

17. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Quick question: Do you have an HD tv? Thats kinda important.

18. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

I'd go for the PS3 (I did).

Momentum seems to be behind it now. Lots of great stuff.

+ Home
    + LittleBigPlanet
    + KillZone 2
    + Resistance 2
    + MotoStorm 2
    + SOCOM: Confrontation
    + Free online gaming
    + WarHawk (released years ago, but still just as active)
    + Wipeout HD
    + Gran Turismo 5
    + Upgradeable Hard disk
    + PlayTV (if in the EU)
    + MAG
    + Heavy Rain
    + Blu-Ray
    + Built-in wireless
    + Metal Gear Solid 4

The PS3 started off slowly, but it's really stepping up the pace now. A boatload of top-quality, exclusive titles, lower prices, regular software updates, and Blu-Ray movies.

Why would you want a 360? I used to think about getting one, and now the price has gone down, I can afford one. Thing is, I just don't want one anymore. The PS3 has me more than satisfied. There's no games coming out on the 360 that I feel I just have to play. The PS3 has got oodles of them.

19. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^ thats totally subjective dude, many people will say the 360 has the better software support with games like Gears 2, Fable 2, Banjo whatever, exclusive add-ons for Fallout 3, Orange Box, etc. Plus the system is cheaper at time of purchase, has a bigger library of games, xbla has a wider array of games as well as a more continuous stream of new games, netflix functionality...

20. Purple Pelican macrumors member

I went for the 360...but i've sent it in for repairs twice. Worst piece of hardware i ever spend 400 dollars on. And after a while the thing starts to run more and more slowly. But and then my friends' 360s run fine, so go figure.

In my opinion though, quality issues aside the 360 has better games.

21. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

I've been happy with my PS3. I sometimes wish I had a 360, but eh, always liked sony since the PS1 and though I'm not a BIG gamer, it's kept me occupied and with a couple of the games coming out soon, pretty siked I dropped the extra money

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

And the thread continues despite all the answers already in a myriad threads and a sticky list on the subject.

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Exactly...just go have a look at the other threads.

Bless

24. t19880821 macrumors regular

Own both, read for unbiased answer

This question is pretty much almost useless to ask in a Mac forum, primarily due to a lot of Mac owners hating Microsoft. And someone already stated that 360=I'm a PC.... which is funny because there are more games out for Windows than Mac, not to mention games perform better on Windows than Mac even if by a little bit. (Why do you think most Mac owners who want to game load up boot camp? Haha). Anyway, that's off-topic.

I own both systems. If you ever want to get an unbiased answer, you should ask someone who has both systems. Both the 360 and the PS3 are great systems, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. And before reading further, you should ask yourself what you specificaly need the system for. Also please don't worry about graphics. I have played many games on both systems on my 50" HDTV, HDMI and everything.. they are both pretty much equal.

First I'll start with the PS3. This is more like an entertainment center. True, it started off slow but it's finally starting to get more serious about gaming and its lowered price makes it so much better. The PS3 has its own exclusives that you cannot get on the 360, and you must ask yourself if you like those games or not and if they're worth buying one system for. Besides gaming, the system also comes with a Blue-Ray player, you can surf the net, etc. The PS3 also has FREE online gaming...... and it shows.

Now, the 360. This is a GAMING machine. No Blue-Ray player (although you can watch DVDs on it), no web surfing. The 360 was made with gaming as the main focus. Like the PS3, the 360 also has its own exclusives.... and again it's up to you if you think these games are worth buying one system for. Xbox Live DOES cost money (~$5/mo), but it is money worth spending.

The choice?

If you want a system where you can play games, watch Blue-Ray movies, maybe even surf the net if you desire... if that all sounds good to you then the PS3 is the way to go. Although, and I'm chuckling right now as I'm typing, if you want to play online.. you do not want to get the PS3. All the games that I have played online for the PS3, either NO ONE communicates with each other (which is half the fun of online gaming)... and A LOT of the people that DO talk are KIDS. You'll find a lot of teamkilling, and pretty much a lot of behavior that would go against any "online etiquette" guidelines out there. In short, the online community for the PS3 is pretty much the worst you can find.

If you want just a gaming system, without the need for the other stuff.. that's what the 360 was made for. Its crown jewel is XBOX Live. I thought that there were a lot of kids in XBL, but not as bad as it is on the PS3. The online performance is so much better on the 360, the online community as far better as well. That's where the $5/mo goes to, is to ensure that online quality is great. In online games, you will find so much more communication involved.. and if there's an annoying person, it's really easy to mute them and make sure you never play with them again.

Singleplayer, go with PS3. After a lot of experience with PSN (I gave it many chances, believe me) I only used PS3 to either play singleplayer games, or PS3 exclusives, and Blue-Ray movies. If you just enjoy singleplayer games, I really recommend the PS3. There's nothing wrong with the 360 offline, but then again if you're not going to play online you might as well get a PS3 and get the best of so many worlds (games, movies, etc)... besides online gaming, of course.

Online gaming, I strongly recommend the 360. Sure, the PS3 will definitely come out with more patches to improve onlien perfomance... but its community will never improve. The 360, from the vey beginning, did a great job in its online features. It is so much easier to build a strong party (that is, finding players, sending them a friend request, talking to them for a little bit, then playing some games together, which opens up to better in-game communication whether it's game-related or just messing around) all without the need of finding or starting a "clan," which is pretty much the best and only way to get good communication going in PSN. I know that PSN had a patch a while back to be able to access the dashboard in-game, and being able to read and send messages without having to exit games... but it does not do it as great as XBL does.

I hope you read all of that, haha. I'm sorry if I may have seemed biased, and leaned more towards the 360. Somewhere in there, I started ranting. It's because I do like to play online games. But I did my best to even it out. Really, both systems are equal. It all depends on what you want a console for. And of course I'm not telling you what to do, I'm just making recommendations based on my own experiences. Hope this heped out, they're both great systems. And whichever one you decide to get, just send me a message on Macrumors with your PSN ID or XBL GamerTag.

25. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

If those are your two options, I would nudge you toward the PS3. As for why...look at the sticky thread already covering this subject.