Which controllers do you like best: PS2/PS3, Xbox/Xbox 360 or Wii

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by kabunaru, Jun 19, 2008.

?

Which controllers you like best?

1. PS2/PS3 controllers

34.6%
  2. Xbox/Xbox 360 controllers

42.3%
  3. Wii controllers

23.1%
  4. I am not a gamer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kabunaru Guest

A follow-up from late in this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500802&page=2

I just want to know what people like the best.
    For me, I think PS2 controllers feel more "natural" than Xbox/Xbox 360 ones. No matter how much I try, I cannot get used to the Xbox/Xbox 360 controllers. I haven't actually tried the Wii ones at all. :eek:

2. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

3. evan g macrumors regular

I have to go with PS2. PS3 is good, but i dont like the triggers.

I kinda like the size of old Xbox controllers, its just the buttons that killed me (I hated the black and white buttons).

4. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

PS2/3, for the compact size and button placement.

I do like the 360's triggers though.

6. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

I love the Wii control becuase it is so fun to use

7. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

1. PS2 (no triggers)
    2. PS3
    3. 360

I use a 360 controller for PC games and its a nice controller, but those triggers are horrible. They stick out too far, I have one game where I need to keep my index on R1 and middle on R2, but R2 sticks out too far and its way too uncomfortable that I just cant use it that way. They are also wayyyy too big, when a game needs to use R2 like a quick-action button rather than an analog trigger it just becomes a pain in the ass to press it all the way down. They really failed on the shoulder button placement, if they were a lot lower and more on a curve then it would be fine.

I have no problem with the triggers on the PS3 pad though, they are nice and curved in the opposite direction which is more ergonomic. The "press" action also isnt as big as the 360's. I dont like triggers on any controller, but the PS3's arent as extreme as others. MGS4 makes a lot of use of the pressure sensitive buttons which I think were ingenious and way better than triggers, it makes you miss the PS2 days where almost every game made use of them. The motion sensing is stupid for the most part, but I have to say its pretty cool when you can flick the controller to reload your gun in GTA4 or to change camo in MGS4.

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I made my choice. Aiming with one's thumb is just plain dumb... :eek:

<]=)

9. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I like the PS3 one, it is really light, and the triggers don't stick out too much. I'll admit that the 360 one is better for some games like GTA IV (driving), but I much perfer the PS3 one for FPS's. I also like how the joysticks and next to each other, rather than staggerd.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

flawed poll. How can you stick xbox/360 controllers together when they were very different? Same with ps2/ps3 as there are differences and with ps3 which do you mean? Sixaxis ? Dual shock 3?

Grouping them together negates any result you get from the poll.

That being said I would prefer the 360 controllers layout and general feel / robustness. Ps3 six axis generation 1 is too light and contary to what zwhaler said, I think the triggers are horrid and do stick out. I also find the staggered layout of the 360s pad works far better for games where dual analogue control. But its all personal preference at the end of the day.

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Completely honestly, I think it all comes down to what you use most, regardless of preference. If I owned a 360 instead of a PS3, I'd probably like it's controller better.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

360 for non-FPS games on my PC
    But the Wii setup is my fave. I can sit back with an arm on each armrest bit and relaaaax :)
    Cannot get used to the PS3 triggers. I find myself sliding off them more often than not! I grew up with both an N64 and PS1 and even then I didn't find the PS controller that comfy. Really wish they would smooth things out a bit.

13. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I use my PS3 more than my Wii so I'm going to say the Dual Shock 3.

14. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

QFT.

I selected PS2/PS3, but had the choices been split up and the 360 controller wasn't lumped in with the horrid Xbox controller, 360 wins my vote.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Depends on a number of factors.

Generally, I like the Wii remote. The pointer is the closest thing to a keyboard and mouse you'll find, which I love.

For fighting games (Smash) though, I prefer the GameCube controller above all else.

However, I like the feel of the XBox 360 controller, but for some reason, don't like the face buttons on it. So I'd put it in close third.

Hate the original XBox controller, and the PS2/PS3 controller would be perfect if you swapped the D-pad and left analog stock positions.

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I like the PS3 controllers best, DS3 version since they are heavier than the SIXAXIS controllers without DS.

I really dislike the layout of the 360 controller, I prefer the analog sticks in the position that they are in with the PS3 controller.

18. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

360 controller for me.

Interesting, it's a three way tie as of my voting.

19. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

360 Controller is awesome!

And I tipped the 3way :D:D:cool::rolleyes:

20. asxtb macrumors 6502

These usually don't end well. We seem to be having a lot of 'fire hazard' threads. (You like that? Just came up with that one. :p;))

I think it really depends on the type of game. Games where you need the analog stick and the buttons, I'd maybe give the advantage to the 360 controller. Games like FPS, I'd say the Wiimote or the PS controller. Racing games, a steering wheel is best. ;)

21. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I prefer the 360's controller, it's more 'organic' feeling than the PS3's controller, which is blocky and has poorly placed buttons. All my opinion, of course. :D

22. kabunaru thread starter Guest

It's still a tie guys.

I do think that they should make PS2/PS3 controllers for Xbox/Xbox 360 users too.

23. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I forgot to mention another reason I like the PS2/3 design more than the 360 is the dpad, sometimes games are just better with a dpad (fighting games for instance). The dpad is great on the sony controller, but its complete and utter garbage on the 360 controller. The Gamecubes little piece of crap dpad was better than the 360's. I tried playing some emulator fighting games on my PC with the 360 controller and it was hell, you cant hit back-foward fast without also accidentally inputting an "up" or "down" 90% of the time because of the way its on a rocking axis.

As long as there are fighting games still being released Im glad Sony hasnt neglected the importance of a good dpad.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I like the way Smash Bros makes the analogue stick better than a dpad for fighting games. Street Fighter works great on dpad though but the whole "smash" mechanics enhances the genre I find.

And out of all the controllers evarrr I'm going to go with the Gamecubes. That thing was built for long-term play. Smash Bros Melee matches would last for hours before my hands started to hurt, I could only last an hour playing Halo before my hands felt the pain.

25. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

PS2/PS3....the PS2 controller is classic and it feels right in my hands.

Bless