Which current 15" MBP should I get

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigbadneil, Nov 14, 2014.

1. bigbadneil, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

bigbadneil macrumors 6502

bigbadneil

I have just sold my 11 inch MacBook Air and want to buy a 15" MBP to use while I am on an Oil Rig to process RAW photos using Photoshop.
    I was able to do this using my 2012 MBA but it was painfully slow so I am hoping that a 2014 MBP will be faster.
    In Malaysia where I live they have 3 options for processor 2.2, 2.5 and 2.8 Gtz so I am guessing that the 2.8 will be the best way to go. To upgrade to a 1TB over a 512GB Hard Drive is bloody expensive +/- $600 bucks so I am thinking 500 GB will be enough to be able to play with the computer on the rig and then transfer my pictures to my Mac Pro at home.
    Any comments advice would be much appreciated

2. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Do you have the refurbished store in Malaysia? They have the current models at about a good discount.

Other than that, I would go for the highest end model you can afford. Maybe instead of the 1TB SSD, go with 512GB and an external drive.

3. bigbadneil thread starter macrumors 6502

bigbadneil

No sir we do not have the refurbished store.
    I am thinking the same 512 with external but maybe go with the 2.5 as I don't want to wait for the 2.8.........I hope that's not a BIG mistake

4. Zerka macrumors member

The difference you'll see between the 2.5 GHz and 2.8 GHz is very minimal. In all honesty, you probably won't ever get to a point where you can detect a difference (caused in part by all the processors' ability to kick into Turbo). I would go for the 2.5 GHz setup and spend some money on an external HD

5. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I keep all of my raw files on an external drive. I don't have to worry if something happens to my computer.

I think 512 is sufficient if you can move the files to the hard drive periodically. It depends upon how much you shoot. I usually fill up a 1TB drive in about a year so I'm all about external drives.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If I were you, I'd go here: http://www.machines.com.my/promotions.php

And grab the RM 7299 model. It's as fast as the 2014 ones with dGPU.

I used to be based in Malaysia as well.

If you go to the Mid Valley Machines APR, make sure you go to the one in Mid Valley and not The Gardens. They're in separate buildings that are connected by an underground arcade.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

I second that. To my knowledge Ps does not utlilize dGPU. According to the extended murphys law (parts that are not built in can't break) I would avoid buying a dgpu, unless you know you will make use of it.