Which date does photos app use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mindquest, Jun 3, 2018.

1. mindquest macrumors regular

Just trying to confirm which date (creation?, Modified?, EXIF?) on an image does photos app use when sorting and organizing images?

2. headlessmike macrumors newbie

headlessmike

As far as I can tell it uses the modified date, which is annoying when I geotag photos and it changes the date to the moment when the geotag is applied rather than when the photo was taken. I usually then use the ExifTool command line utility to change the modified date to match the EXIF date.

3. mindquest thread starter macrumors regular

WOW, I was thinking it was the EXIF date or even the creation date but not the modified date. I have a ton of old pictures I am importing into Photos app which is why I asked.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I've just modified and geotagged a couple and they keep the date/time that the photo was taken.

5. mindquest thread starter macrumors regular

So in your example do you think Photos app is using the EXIF date?

6. headlessmike macrumors newbie

headlessmike

Hmm, I'l need to try it again. I'm certain that it's not the EXIF date that Photos is using, but it could be that my geotagging app is changing the creation date.

7. mindquest thread starter macrumors regular

The problem I am finding is there is no clear answer to this question when I am searching for it. Thanks for taking another look!

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Given that EXIF data is:
    then, yes.

9. mindquest thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Dave! Now that i know it is the EXIF date i should be changing on old my old photos to make sure they are correct before adding them to Photos App. IT is crazy that this isn't clearly stated and many of of are trying to get old scanned pics into Photos.