iPad mini Which deal would you do?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcdj, Nov 26, 2014.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I have a Mini 2 32gb. I'm using it on AT&T with a family share plan.

I'm running out of space and pining for a 64.

Best Buy has the 64 LTE for $75 off, and an additional $100 off if you activate a 2 year contract (this seems to be an in-store only deal, because you have to activate it on the spot). I have verified that all I need to do is add it to my family plan, replacing my current non-contract Mini.

So it's $454, plus $40 activation, and tax, for a rough total of $540, call it $550.

I can sell my 32 for $300 to a coworker. So for $250, I'm getting a brand new battery, a fresh warranty, Touch ID, and doubling my storage.

BUT...

I also found a sealed 64 Mini 2 LTE from a private seller for $450. No tax. Free shipping. The down side is the warranty period is a question mark, since I don't know when it was purchased. I also can't return it if it has a wacky screen or some other anomaly. If it has a little warranty left, I might be ok, but I'm not counting on that.

So for $150, I'm getting double the storage and not much else. Money isn't the biggest factor, but $100 is $100. But I'm also assuming that this time next year, a 3 will have slightly better resale value than the 2 when it's upgrade time.

So would you pony up for the 3, or save $100 for a slightly less future proof 2 with an unknown warranty?

2. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

first option seems better - full warranty, new battery, touch id, more storage, and option of easy return should you need to.

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

I just realized that AT&T will give you a $100 credit if you bring your own tablet to a 2 year contract. After the $40 activation fee, that would bring the Mini 2 price down to $390 :eek:

4. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

If you have the serial number, you can verify its warranty status on Apple's web site. A legit seller shouldn't have any problem providing that information, but you still have to trust that they're providing the true number for the unit they're selling.

For local sales, I once met a Craigslist seller at a public library to check the status on the free internet terminals before concluding the transaction on an iPod. This was before everyone had smartphones with good web access.

5. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

Warranty starts the day you open your sealed product and activate it.

6. donnaw macrumors 65816

When I 'brought my own Air2" to my family share they waived the activation fee. Don't know if that's usual or if it was because my son (in whose name the plan is in) is an employee. You might ask. That's another $40.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I always thought it was from the day mentioned on the purchase receipt? Apple still covers physical defect warranty even if you never activate the device.

8. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

The day it is activated is the day your warranty starts, you buy it today but decide to open and use it in a weeks time ....that will start your warranty date. What do you mean physical warranty, they won't cover cosmetic damage and anything internally wrong they will, but it of course must be activated first.

9. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

When I said "physical" - I meant any defects in the physical appearance of the gadget - stuck pixels, buttons, loose components, rattling etc. which can be apparent and fixed under warranty without first activating the device.

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Another possibility, Apple® - iPad® mini 2 with Wi-Fi + Cellular - 64GB - (AT&T) - Silver/White $476.99 on clearance at Best Buy.

11. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Do you need a cellular iPad every month? For a $100 savings you will be paying $240 over the 2 year contract to keep the device active.

12. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

Unless you plan on keeping your device in a glass case to just stare at it , just activate to get any issues fixed under warranty!!

13. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I'm not upgrading my mini 2 but if I was buying new I would go for the mini 3 and get the Touch ID. I would definitely buy new from Best Buy over a private seller. Eliminates a lot of potential problems if the used device has any issues now or later.