Which decade would you choose to live in?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dubhe, Dec 5, 2008.

?

Which decade would you choose to live in?

1. 60's

13 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. 70's

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. 80's

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 90's

11 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. 00's - I like it how it is :)

29 vote(s)
    37.7%
  1. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Ok, the world could be argued to be in a bit of a mess at the moment, if you could live in a different decade, which would you choose, and why?

Myself - the 90's were pretty good and I loved the dance music ten years ago

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I loved growing up on the 70s. Can I go back but have the technology of the 90s-00s?

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was only around in the 80's for 4 years, I'd have liked more. After clearing our parts of my grans house that is a treasure trove of electronics from the 60's and 70's I don't think I'd be able to cope well there :p

4. dubhe thread starter macrumors 65816

dubhe

I'd hate to have been married in the 80's, imagine the wedding photos, what you thought was fashionable then sure ain't now :D

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I love the 80s. The music, the movies... it was all good. I do like the computers technology now, but you just can't beat the 80s

6. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Call me strange, but I could live in the 20's or late 40's or 50's.
    A time of optimism and development. That and I have a fascination with old buildings and the way things used to look.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

Your poll starts far too late. I'd choose the 40's for the swing music and dancing (it seemed like average restaurants even had dancing then).

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

All I can say is I have lived in or through all of the decades listed… can't recommend one.
    :eek:

1900s probably. But as it's not on the poll list. No vote.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The 80's. It was the last time we had anything original and new happen in music, art and culture that wasn't rehash from some other decade. It was also easier to get away with things you weren't supposed to do. :) You could go to the city and never see one yuppie- that was the best. :D

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

1650's.Or in my lifetime the 60's. The 1920's would be fine as well.

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

1970s - second half

There was a pretty happy atmosphere after the end of the Vietnam era into the early 1980s. No Nixon, no HIV, no Gulf War I or II, no war in the Balkans, no Bush in the White House, no spam, no road rage, no watching calories, and a dominance of Apple Computer.

Those were great times for me. I don't know if that decade was less problematic than today, but it could be due to the fact I was a child and I didn't have the right to vote yet so I didn't feel a duty as a citizen to help anybody.

These days feel burdensome, and even though I vote and try to help society, I realize that positive change is a very slow process.

12. Frisco macrumors 68020

No yuppies!! I can only dream of that. New York City was so much better than--no yuppies, Disneyland Times Square and no Giuliani!

13. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Society is constantly advancing. No point in looking back to 'happier times', because for many, they weren't.

14. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Too far back and I'd be afraid being a minority. So no time like the present with a President Obama. If I were white, I'd probably want to go to the 50's-60's, just because it must have been great to be white back then.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Chicago was way better too. It saddens me what happened in NYC. That place got destroyed the most. It used to be such an awesome hotbed of creativity and art everywhere. Now it's as sanitary as a hospital. Even the East Village is getting overrun. The last time I walked down Houston, I was horrified.

Why do you think it's any different to be white now? Why do you think it would have been better back then? I'm puzzled. Just because minorities are better off now doesn't mean that whites are worse off now. I'd say just the opposite.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I always wanted to grow up with the great 70's rock music. The stuff today sucks.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You mean like Styx? :) I have to tell you- there was just as much bad as good back then, as there is now. You just have to dig for it these days, but there's a lot of good stuff out there. This has been a great year for music, IMO. You just have to look. You won't find it on the radio. That has always been the case. The demise of the record industry as we know it will be even better for music.

18. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

late 90's/early 00's so i can prevent the election of G.W. Bush. :D

19. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

I didn't say they were worse off now. I'm speaking relatively. And I picked 50s/60s, not because I want to explore being white, but because of the time itself.

20. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

21. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

22. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Will the human race survive that long?:eek:

23. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

hey that's why I want to go, to find out. The Incas (or Mayans w/e) said the world is going to end in November of 2012 so who knows?

24. n8mac macrumors 6502

I agree although I would say the 30's. Swing/Big band music is great and puts me in a good mood. I often turn on this music on my cable TV music channel. Apparently this music was created to get peoples mind off the great depression.

Also, whenever I play clue (video game) it makes me want to live in a mansion in England in the same time period. Just sit back and take it slow.